Algae eater for a 10 gal w/betta ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xzap

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a planted 10 gal w/one male betta.
Periodically I get some brown algae on some leaves.. would a few otos be OK with the betta?

Thx,

dave

I think it would be fine. I imagine the betta will probably ignore the ottos. Betta aggresion ussually comes when the companion fish resembles a betta and is seen as a rival.

yeah, try maybe 3-4 ottos. Betta likely won't bother them because they rarely swim in the open spaces. He'll own the tank, they'll live on the walls.

you could try planting a bit of anubias bartari v. nana. it's maintenance free in a low light tank, and will give some cover for the fish.

the less secure a betta feels (or any mildly aggressive fish), the more likely they are to try to dominate the tank/territory.

I just got home w/4 of them Malkore.. there's plenty of plants so they will have some hiding places/cover :)

Thx,

Dave

Yeah, I will see what his initial reaction to them is. Mine killed all the ghost shrimp and is only roughly harassing one, so make sure the otos got a place to retreat to and remove them if you see serious aggression. Sometimes it also depends on the individual betta, nice betta have such distinct personalities like people.

Back
Top Bottom