Algae Eater for a tall tank with angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can anyone tell me a good algae eater or eaters for a 40 gallon flat-hex-back tank? The tank is pretty tall and I plan to put angels in it...

I had any algea out-break...but it was my fault...Plus I have some natural sun hitting it...so I need somthing to eat it :)

Thanks in advance!

Golden algae eaters look awsome, and do the job great, regular CAE's are just as good, OTO cats are hungry little guys, check them out

heres another shrimps you should look into: Japonica Amano Shrimp, and Cherry Fire Shrimp

Of course I'm gonna suggest a pleco. Plecos that don't get to big and work well would be, bristlenose, bulldog, clown or maybe a couple pittbulls. There are other small species that are more expensive and harder to obtain like the zebras and tigers also. Lots to choose from. Have to see what your lfs has available and research them to find the right one. Good luck. :D

Ahh I knew the pleco would be comming...

I basically exchange plecos with my lfs once they get too large, the lfs only carries common plecos...They all get rather large.

I was considering ottos this time...

well ... i have angels in my tank (breeders at that) I have 3 forms of algae eaters for all forms of algae. I have Ameca splendins (THE BEST for hair algae), otocinclus cats and a rubber mouth pleco

Several Chinese Algae Eaters would be good for cleaning algae (hence their name.) They can get up to about a foot at the most but do a good job. Its something other than a pleco that is good for algae.

I probaly wouldn't advise pleco's because first they get pretty big and I don't know what other fish you plan on putting in your tank or what fish you have in there already. Also, although the pleco is well known for its ability to clean algae, I have heard more complaints from fish owners saying that their pleco's aren't cleaning their tank, than hearing owners saying they are cleaning their tanks. For that reason I strongly suggest you get otos. Otos are small little guys, that I heard from just about every owner that they are great at getting rid of algae and they are a great addition to any tank. I hope this helps you.

I second the Otocinclus!
Oto's in a small shoal of 6-8 fish would clean up that tank so well you'd be having to supplement food for'em in a week :wink: .
Them or (if ya can find'em) "true" SAE's, they are almost as good IMO, but next to impossible to find or order.

I probaly wouldn't advise pleco's because first they get pretty big
There are a lot of species of pleco ... my rubbermouth pleco gets a max size of 4" and he is devouring a lot of algae
I do agree that there are some huge species of plecos that get in upwards of 14"

I Would Not Get CAE as they can get mean and harrass other fish with age and I would not get otto cats as you would need 10 or more to control that nmuch algea-I would reccomend any of the smaller plecos BushyNose, Clown Pitbull, And Royal Plecos-They are a beautiful pleco but they get 10inches but for a 40gal tank that is not too big-Definelty go with a pleco.

Quote:

I probaly wouldn't advise pleco's because first they get pretty big

There are a lot of species of pleco ... my rubbermouth pleco gets a max size of 4" and he is devouring a lot of algae
I do agree that there are some huge species of plecos that get in upwards of 14"
I ' m sorry that I made a vague statment, but the reason why I said that is because I assumed that s/he would buy a common pleco, since that is the mostly commonly bought type of pleco and they get very big in size.

Unknown you are correct. I plan to get ottos...there are ONLY common plecos in this area.

Back
Top Bottom