Algae Eater for the 36 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey- I'm looking for a fish that's going to attack some algae I have.
Now, I do a pretty good job of keeping algae out to begin with, no matter for how long I scrub, there's always algae somewhere.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want a part time algae eater that will actively seek out algae. At the same time, I know that if it can't get its typical algae intake, I have to supplement its diet with other foods.

Also, take into account that this tank is my livebearer tank, so anything that'll fit in well with my platies and swordtails is required. Also, if this said fish worked behind the scenes at the algae (at night, etc.) is a HUGE bonus, but not required.

Nerite snails are pretty good algae cleaners. They come in different colors and shell designs too. The only downside is if you happen to get a female, you'll have little white eggs stuck everywhere. If your water is freshwater and not brackish they won't hatch. They aren't too hard to scratch off, at least mine aren't. They go constantly. Not just night. They mind their own business and clean up the algae.

Alot depends on the type of algae you have as algae eaters have specific algaes they each eat and some algae types no algae eater will eat.

Nerite snails eat: bio-film, diatoms, green dust, and green spot algae
Oto's: bio-film, diatoms, green dust
BNPleco: Bio-film, diatoms, green dust

SAE's and American Flag fish eat hair algae which the above don't

I have a common Pleco in my tank. It's recommended in 55+, but I have him in 10 gallon and am going to relocate him when he grows bigger. He eats EVERYTHING on the side of my tank.

I rarely have to scrape algae cause of how well it takes care of the problem.

But in your size tank most people would likely recommend Chinese Algae Eaters. They won't get as big. But I hate those.

Snails are a great option too but I don't much care for those.

I'm still searching for a good algae eater. Its been 5 years and watiing. I have had Chinese algae eaters, ottos, snails, plecos, and shrimp. I always get small blotches of algae. I will change my water once every ten days and around day 6 or 7 there will be a few spots. Snails seem like they are always going at it but there will still be growth. I think a combo of shrimp and ottos would be good for you. The shrimp eat any left over food and the ottos will get the glass and any rocks/ortaments.

I like my Otto crew. I have 4. I have heavily planted tanks and my lights are all on timers, so I rarely get Algae as long as I keep up my PWCs weekly. I change 25-30% usually. I have small tanks two 10g , two 5.5g.

Thanks for all the advice- I used to know what kind of algae I had, but I forget now- :p , its the generic green stuff.
And I defintely don't want to throw in a pleco or something and say 'thats good' and never bother with algae again. Its the corners of the tank that I can't get into.

Don't really like the looks of plecos, but if I have to, I have to.
I hate snails. That's the main reason why I have dwarf puffers in my planted tank.
I'm liking the way the SAE and the CAE (Siamese and Chinese Algae Eaters, respectively)- from online profiles, the CAE would be a better, fit, right?

CAE's get big and very aggressive over time and most lose the desire to eat algae once they get larger.

If you run your lights 6-8 hours max it will greatly help keep algae out of a tank. Also if your not changing out enough tank water weekly with water changes organics can build up in a tank and also contribute to algae by having excess nutrients in the water. It's best to correct the reasons causing algae and have a small clean up crew to take care of any little bit that does occur.

Depending on the wattage of your lights, you might be able add plants. Plants will out-compete the algae for nutrients. Floating plants might be the way to go here...

I have nerite snails and a Siamese algae eater. Both are fantastic algae eaters. Rubbernose plecos and bristlenose plecos consume algae as well.

Can you post a picture of the algae?

David

Just remember Algae Eaters each only eat certain types of Algae. None eat it all.

Lighting timer
Don't overfeed
PWCs 1x weekly at least
Live plants are my preference
Nerite Snails do not breed in Freshwater

Personally I hate CAE and wish they'd stop selling them as Algae Eaters. Only the juveniles eat Algae , again only certain kinds. They get big and adults eat the slime coat off ANY fish they can catch ( esp. Slower or sleeping fish ). At my old job they'd kill Mollies overnight eating their slime.

Just remember Algae Eaters each only eat certain types of Algae. None eat it all.

Lighting timer
Don't overfeed
PWCs 1x weekly at least
Live plants are my preference
Nerite Snails do not breed in Freshwater

Personally I hate CAE and wish they'd stop selling them as Algae Eaters. Only the juveniles eat Algae , again only certain kinds. They get big and adults eat the slime coat off ANY fish they can catch ( esp. Slower or sleeping fish ). At my old job they'd kill Mollies overnight eating their slime.

Jeez- I purposely will not purchase a CAE on principle then.

I've been doing 1, 25-50% PWC every week. Maybe I'll increase to 2 PWCs a week and hold off on a cleaner crew, since I'd rather add a pictus cat to my tank instead of a pleco or something similar.

Jeez- I purposely will not purchase a CAE on principle then.

I've been doing 1, 25-50% PWC every week. Maybe I'll increase to 2 PWCs a week and hold off on a cleaner crew, since I'd rather add a pictus cat to my tank instead of a pleco or something similar.

Careful, Pictus eat any fish that fits if it gets hungry just like all wide mouth Catfish ! My friend lost his whole school of Cardinal Tetras. Pictus ate them while they slept. Next morning no Tetras and a fat Pictus. Single Pictus often pine away, happiest in groups like most Catfish.

http://www.aquariumlife.net/articles/tropical-fish/pictus-catfish/72.asp
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=276

Thanks for the heads up Coursair! Doesn't matter, the LFS isn't selling the 2 pictus cats they have because they have ich.

As for the cleaner crew, I picked up 3 otos for 3 good reasons.
1) Yes, I'm a dude, but I'm going to say it- they're adorable. Maybe that's why the girlfriend broke up with me....
2) They look like a fish, and not something out of a Star Trek film like plecos.
3) The price! $2 a piece! Might get a cleaner crew going for the 20gal for that price!

When getting otos be sure to acclimate them slowly as all are wild caught and just have trouble with acclimating. I have 18 in my 220g and love them.

Alot depends on the type of algae you have as algae eaters have specific algaes they each eat and some algae types no algae eater will eat.

BNPleco: Bio-film, diatoms, green dust

is "Bio-film" the layer of slime like substance that seems to cover the inside of the glass? cause that would explain why my A-BNP constantly scoot across the tank attached to the glass..

is "Bio-film" the layer of slime like substance that seems to cover the inside of the glass? cause that would explain why my A-BNP constantly scoot across the tank attached to the glass..

Yes, and bio-film is on everything in the tank not just the glass. I don't know if I'd call it slimy but we all have our own descriptions... lol.

Yes, and bio-film is on everything in the tank not just the glass. I don't know if I'd call it slimy but we all have our own descriptions... lol.

lol every time i touch the glass my fingers slip so i just assume its slimy :) good to know, this would explain the A-BNP behavior of latching onto the glass and everything else in the tank :) :)

Back
Top Bottom