Algae eater in a 5G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Stupid question but is there any algae eater that i can put in a 5G? I highly doubt it but thought the only bad questions are the ones never asked.

I am going to add shrimp but i was thinking something that would clean the glass.

As i just wrote this i realized snails do. wow :facepalm:

What kind of snail do you recommend? I was thinking apple snail.

Do they over populate? Only looking for one snail that'll do the job not having a tank overrun with them.

Nerite. I agree. I have apple snails, pond snails, and nerite snails in various tanks and the nerite are my biggest algae eaters. You will still have to clean the glass of course though because they do not eat everything.

Ok do most pet shops carry them? I don't think i have ever seen them.

Ok do most pet shops carry them? I don't think i have ever seen them.
I have not seen them around a lot. I got mine at DeathCo (aka PetCo). Some stores may be willing to order them for you, otherwise you can get them online. Apple snails are eaiser to find, IME. If you cannot find nerite snails, apple/mystery snails are still a good option.

I'll call around and see which ones carry. Would they be ok with a betta?

How many should I get? So far my 5G only has a betta but I'm planning on adding 5 shrimp.

Ok next week i'll head over to my LFS to finally start stocking my 32G. I'll look for nerite snails and shrimp aswell.

Back
Top Bottom