Algae eater question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering. I have two otos in my tank. One who is about 2-3 inches and a little one who is probably just an inch. The bigger one is all over the fake plants, decor and everything. He is never on the glass. However the little one is the complete opposite. He is always on the glass and almost never on the decor. I was just wondering is he getting anything from the glass? It looks clear to me haha.. I just want to make sure they are getting the proper food and health they need. Thanks guys!

I was just wondering. I have two otos in my tank. One who is about 2-3 inches and a little one who is probably just an inch. The bigger one is all over the fake plants, decor and everything. He is never on the glass. However the little one is the complete opposite. He is always on the glass and almost never on the decor. I was just wondering is he getting anything from the glass? It looks clear to me haha.. I just want to make sure they are getting the proper food and health they need. Thanks guys!

He should be doing allright. However you should supplement their diet for optimum health.

I though in some algae wafers however I never see them eat them. Mostly the cories go after them

Aside from some types of algae (diatoms for example) otos mostly eat the biofilm in tanks. Biolfilm is clear so you won't see it but it's certainly there! Biofilm typically takes a little while to establish which is why it's often recommended to only add otos to tanks that are mature. Most otos in my experience won't eat prepared foods like algae wafers, but some will.

Aside from some types of algae (diatoms for example) otos mostly eat the biofilm in tanks. Biolfilm is clear so you won't see it but it's certainly there! Biofilm typically takes a little while to establish which is why it's often recommended to only add otos to tanks that are mature. Most otos in my experience won't eat prepared foods like algae wafers, but some will.

My tank has been running about a good month after I added them. It's been cycled and everything so I think they should be okay :)

If you can, give them some soft algae to eat. I keep marble chips in a big jar, which I fill with tank water and leave in a sunny window. When the chips turn green I drop them in the tank and the Otos love it. They clean them overnight, and back in the jar they go.

Snails will also go for this, big time, but the Otos do get some.. and I think it's the best supplement they can have, since in the wild they are aufwuchs eaters. German term for algae grazers who, along with the algae, also consume tiny fauna and anything else that's in the algae, which, whether they eat it deliberately or not, probably is good for them.

If you can, give them some soft algae to eat. I keep marble chips in a big jar, which I fill with tank water and leave in a sunny window. When the chips turn green I drop them in the tank and the Otos love it. They clean them overnight, and back in the jar they go.

Snails will also go for this, big time, but the Otos do get some.. and I think it's the best supplement they can have, since in the wild they are aufwuchs eaters. German term for algae grazers who, along with the algae, also consume tiny fauna and anything else that's in the algae, which, whether they eat it deliberately or not, probably is good for them.

Sounds like a good idea! I never thought of that! Thanks :thanks:

I have oto's in all my various tanks and most will eat blanched zucchini and Repashy Superfood (the two algae ones). I've never seen them touch an algae wafer.

Back
Top Bottom