Algae eater suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfspyder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up my 20 gal L tank at end of October and it finished cycling last weekend. I cycled it with 2 $.10 Goldfish (Redshirt 1 and 2) and with lots of plants (and a bottle of Cycle which I don't think did much). I wish I had starting reading more about setups before hand as I would have tried the fishless cycle, ah well.. next tank;)

Anyhow, I got 7 Pristella Tetras as the new additions, and my next purchase will be Algae/scavenger fish. I was thinking of getting Ottos (3), but not sure if a Pleco of some sort or Corys would be good as well? I have a number of plants and a large piece of rootwood/driftwood, so there will be hiding spots for those that need it. My Pristellas like to hide out in my bunched plants already.

The other fish I would like to add to the tank are 3-4 Ram Cichlids(Blue Rams) after the Algae cleaning guys. So my final total will be 7 Pristellas, the Redshirts, 3-4 Rams and then the cleaning crew who I haven't decided completely on... 3-6 of them? Or does that sound like I will overload the tank?

Here is their home:
20Lpic.jpg

WOW...That's a beautiful tank. I love oto's. They are small and very hard workers. I would get 3-4 of them definitely.

NICE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone should move this to general discussion so it will get more views....

I think you are going to over load the tank. First of all gold fish need more space than normal because they grow quickly and are messy (ammonia producers) and I've heard it said that each goldfish should have about 10 gal to itself and I don't know how big they get but I've seen 5 or 6 inchs.

Your tetras will get 1.75 ins so your 7 will end up about 11.25 inchs of fish by themselves.

So the rule is about an inch per gallon.

btw, it is a beautiful tank...I'm working on a planted 20gal and I hope it turns out like that....and welcome to AA!!

:D I like the tank too. You've selected a good balance of fish (minus the goldfish which don't belong). I'd opt for the Otos as well as 3 or 4 pygmy cories.

Thanks for the replies and nice comments. I'm pretty happy with the way the tank's turned out so far :D
I didn't think the Goldfish through as well as I should have, as I never really wanted them, but was told I needed some hardy fish to cycle the tank (I know better now). I don't have the heart to get rid of them as they've served me well and seem quite happy. Returning them to the fish store would wind them up back in the tank of 100's awaiting to be bigger fish food I'm sure;) So, I will probably end up getting them their own tank, this will save my plants too I think, as I've caught them pecking some leaves off.

Again, thanks for the replies, I will look into the pygmy cories and see if I can't find them at a LFS. I know at least one carries Ottos:)

[center:dfad735245] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Wolfspyder! :n00b: [/center:dfad735245]

Ottos need an established tank, IMO, add them last. Pygmies are wonderful and full of energy. They do not just stay at the bottom of your tank, but they will school and dart around. I have 10 in one tank and 15 in another. Too cute!

If you get the goldies their own tank, make sure to give them 10-15 gals each, a minimum of a 20 gal tank. You can also look around in your area for an aquarium society and give the fish to a member. In addition, there is a VA regional forum, you can post to see if anyone would take in the goldies. There are people who will not use them as food and you can be assured that they will be well cared for.

Just a warning ... Ottos are not that easy .. they sometimes die for no apparent reason. Do a research online on ottos before you get them. Not trying to discourage you but the research would prepare you much better :)

Back
Top Bottom