Algae eater with guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vi_ha1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought three algae eater for my tank full of guppies with little fries is it safe for them to be together or not? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411092070.018977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That looks like a Chinese algae eater which are very aggressive and get to be almost a foot long

Fishobsessed7

If you have 3 Chinese algae eaters you should probably take them back. Like the previous poster said they get very large, and extremely aggressive. I had one in a 75 gallon tank and twice I watched him come to the top and eat a zebra dannio. Your fry will not stand a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A bristlenose pleco would be a much better alternative add a bottom dweller that will munch on algae, although they eat less as they grow in my opinion. Oto cats are supposed to be great algae cleaners as well, but they're supposedly difficult to find lately.

The Chinese algae eater is actually a sucking loach from fast moving streams, they use their mouths to hold onto rocks. They became popular in aquariums because they eat lots of algae as juveniles- but as they grow they will cease their algae diet completely and more than likely attack and eat fish. They're also known for hanging on the side of broad sided fish and eating their slime coats.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom