Algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajwetton

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 10g tank with a betta and some platys. It had cherry shrimp in it but I think they have been lunch. Can't see them anymore. So I need some good dependable algae eaters I can add. Transplanting a few platys is an option to another tank so I'm not overstocked but I'd love some solid ideas that will be nice to look at and help clean my driftwood and stuff nicely. Thanks!

In a 10gallon you could maybe do a bristlenose pleco..or some otos? Or maybe some snails.

Would a bristlenose be to big? I thought they got to around 5-6 inches, maybe I'm confusing it with another pleco.

Would a bristlenose be to big? I thought they got to around 5-6 inches, maybe I'm confusing it with another pleco.

They usually get around 4 inches. All plecos have a large bioload..which could raise problems in a 10gallon..so depending on filtration and water changes it might be fine.

Yea that's what I was thinking too how's the bioload for ottos or some snail suggestions are welcome too as long as they are pretty and eat hehe

A bristlenose wouldn't be recommended for your 10. They should be in a 30 at the absolute minimum since they are poop machines and need room to roam. - theres really no pleco that'd work out well in a 10 gallon

If you wanted to transplant a couple platies, you could get 3 oto's instead, they are schooling fish so you need 3 minimum, they are recommeneded for 20+ gallons, but 10 would work if you have a ton of algea. If you do buy them, make sure to go to the store around feeding time to make sure they will take algea wafers. None of mine will so I have to keep an algea farm growing in my tank at all time.

A couple amano shrimp could definitely work. I don't know what type of shrimp you had before, but these grow to a size big enough to not fit in your betta or platy's mouths.

Or you could go with some snails. mystery, ramshorn, or nerites. Nerites need brackish water to reproduce so are the least likely to over populate your tank. Apples/Mysteries have to lay their egg clutches above the water surface and need both a male and female snail so if you got unlucky enough to get one of each sex, you could still easily spot and smash their eggs. and Ramshorns are great little snails, they stay small and eat a ton of algea, but they also reproduce faster than bunnies. I got my first set of 13 in November and have had to sell off quite a few, quite a few times. Mysteries have got to be my favorite so far. They come in a ton of cool colors and get huge!

I had red cherry shrimp in there before. A few were over an inch so I'm reluctant to try shrimp again, but ill google the snails and maybe go the mystery snail route since you said they get big

Decided to get some mystery snails, got 2 black a blue and a gold, the blue and gold are already quite active keeping my eye on the 2 blacks, but I'm excited about them. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yep I'm lovin these guys and bonus! I apparently got a free baby lol

Be careful with the free baby, it may not be a mystery snail, pond/bladder look really similar to mysteries when they are small. Not saying a pond snail is a bad thing, but they multiply faster than ramshorns

Ill keep an eye on him, how do I tell them apart? Cause I don't want him breeding on me if he isn't a mystery snail. And the chain shop I got him from only sells mystery snails so that should increase the chances he's a mystery too right?

A bladder snail will have speckling on his shell, and won't grow any larger than a pencil eraser. They also have a slightly weird shaped shell compared to mystery snails. I'm not sure what size your possible baby mystery is, but it's something to keep an eye out on.

Lol ill keep an eye on him. So far is solid colored and he is smaller than an eraser. Can those snail breed asexually?

Back
Top Bottom