Algae Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlrust1816

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Tank:

20 Gal high

2 Male Bolivian Rams
3 Corys of Vaying types

My tank was started in early september and it has now begun to develope a good amount of algae, which I see as a good thing. right?

Either way, I am now looking at getting a algae eater. The obvious first choice is a Pleco but I am a person who needs action. What other alternatives are available that are more active and animated.

Otocinculus cats are an active choice. They are often hard to find healthy though, because they are imported to our LFS's. Buying a large group (about 5, IMO) would be a good choice. Get them after they have been in the LFS for a while.

I'd also look at the variations of the pleco though. There are others out there besides just the common pleco.

You may want to buy a dozen. Average rate of survival IME is 50% or less. I bought 8 and luckily I still have 6. Look for fat bellies. Stay away from pale colored ones. Never buy them unless they have been at the lfs for at least a week.

what kind of algae? do you have plants? how do you feel about snails? ramshorn snails can be good algae eaters, as can apple snails (pomacea brigesii). but you'd really have to like snails, because they have a tendency to reproduce! i personally have them in all my tanks and love them. but i also have fish that will eat snails and snail eggs to keep the population at bay. plecos are awesome, but pay attention to what kind you're interested in. not all of them eat algae--there are plenty of carniverous plecos who won't touch the stuff. check out http://planetcatfish.com. it's a great pleco resource. i had horrible luck with ottos--also cories for that matter, so if your cories are doing well, maybe you will have better luck with ottos ;)

hth

I have 5 Otos right now, bought them from Petsmart and the sixth died a short while out of no special reason (well, probably starved like most of them during transport). Anyway, they are very active and visible when in a group of at least 4. Get the ones with the roundest bellies and you'll have most luck.

But like all algae eaters they don't eat every algae, so it would be good to know what you're trying to get rid of/reduce. You will always have a little algae, but if you've got an explosion you need to change something about your tank.

Oh yeah, when the algae seems to be gone, you need to supplement the Otos diet with some fresh veggies and algae wafers, otherwise they might starve to death :cry: .

i love pleco's!!! you would want to get one of the smallest varieties like bristelnose.. but here is a pic of my common just so you can get an idea of how fun they can be...
some people think they are boring but they aren't .. in the evening mine will glide around the sides of the tank... if he gets scared he darts from one side to another (like if i have my hand in there messing around. .LOL) and when i feed zuchini.. i love watching him munch!!!

What could be a cause to an Algae growth surge
How much watts of light do you have over your tank? Flourescent or iridiscent? Do you have real plants? Do you have a lot of movement from the surface of the water (e.g.by filter)? How long do you keep your lights on? How often do you make water changes?

I have a power head so i have alot of water movement, I dont have any real plants, I usually keep the lights on for 12 hours a day, i believe my light is flourecent

If you have no real plants no reason to leave the lights on that long. Just put them on when you want to see your fish.

See, light is food for the plants, if they are no plants to consume the nutrients in the water through photosynthesis the algae will. The longer you leave your light on, exspecially in a nonplanted tank, the better algae can grow.
You could maybe make a lighting pause through the day, or have it light up later in the day, depending when you're at work and not home to watch your fishes anyway. All your fishes need is the regular daylight that brighten your room a little.

Surface movement can actually cause algae too. The more surface movement you have the more algae you'll probably have too. If you put your powerhead further under water if you want water movement in the tank that would probably help, as long as the surface of the water isn't moved/disturbed too much all the time.

Back
Top Bottom