Algae eaters and Acryllic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Heya,

I'm setting up a large 100 gallon acrylic tank for one of my professors. I've never worked with acrylic before, and am concerned about my choice of algae eaters. I know that plecos have grating teeth that may scratch acrylic (some ppl have reported this), but I've never put this to the test.

So my questions are: what do the acrylic owners here use as algae eaters? Have any of you had plecos scratch your acrylic?

The tank is a Malawi Cichlid tank. IME, most plecos are absolutely fine in a pH of 8.0, which is what I'd be setting the pH at. (In nature they somtimes live in pHs over 7.) Alkalosis for these guys, according to my research in some fish health books doesn't set in until much higher pHs. Any other suggestions? I won't try otos, as they're sensitive and too small to deal with cichlids. There are certainly no satisfactory native species!

So, please suggest away!
Jon

Only certain types of Plecos can damage acrylics, most are acylic safe. Check over at Planetcatfish.com for specifics.

Never kept Pleco's so I can't help you on that one. I use 1 Chinese Algae Eater in both of my acrylic tanks. Never had any harm. Personally I like Acrylic much better. I'll never use glass again.

One thing I would like to mention is be very careful when cleaning algae off the inside of the tank. Especially towards the bottum, by the substrate. If you get even a tiny piece of substrate in your cleaning material , you'll have major scrathes everywhere. As far as the outside goes. If you scratch it, it buffs out rather easily if it not really deep. I use whatever car wax I happen to have to buff the OUTSIDE ONLY.

Whatever you do, don't use any chemicals on the inside of the acrylic for repairing scratches. I'm sure this one does'nt need explained :lol: I've always been really careful setting the tank up, as to not scratch it. The white pad tank cleaners on a stick (whats the correct name for those anyways) you see at most fish stores does'nt mare the acrylic.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project.

Ah, ok. Thanks for all the answers. I feel like a doofus asking about something so elemental, but hey... better safe than sorry. I've never used acrylic before!

Mojo, thanks for the CAE mention, but I'm firmly set against those guys and have been for quite some while. Thanks also for the scratch advice. I'm being very careful about that--I know how easily acrylic scratches. Grim and Roger, I'll check out planetcatfish now...

Back
Top Bottom