Algae eater's wanted !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilano

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone.
I'm looking for any stores in NY, which sell
Algae Eating Cyprinids. I cant find any store or information about this kind of store online. If somebody knows adress or localization those stores, please help me.
Thanx.

I had algae "Rhodophyta", but i did restart my tank. Now, i want to avoid this algae, so i need to buy any algae eater's.

If you don't mind them getting a little bit aggressive down the road, try the Chinese algae eaters. They stay pretty active and won't get lazy/depend on algae wafers as they get older.

plain old scrubbing and pruning of the leaves?
thats really going to be the best bet. nothing eats everything you can get and most like other food then algae. best way to fight algae is to balance out the tank so it doesn grow in the first place.

If you don't mind them getting a little bit aggressive down the road, try the Chinese algae eaters. They stay pretty active and won't get lazy/depend on algae wafers as they get older.

I've kept Chinese Algae Eaters, and unless they are in a tank with pretty aggressive fish...I wouldn't suggest them.

LOL I bought two CAE when I first started my tank, one was about 3 inches and the other one was about 1 and half inches. Anyways I had also bought some neon tetras (about 8) Well the tetras mysteriously began to vanish. No where to be found... I figured it out that the big CAE actually was swallowing them whole. now I have 5 Neons.... lol

LOL I bought two CAE when I first started my tank, one was about 3 inches and the other one was about 1 and half inches. Anyways I had also bought some neon tetras (about 8) Well the tetras mysteriously began to vanish. No where to be found... I figured it out that the big CAE actually was swallowing them whole. now I have 5 Neons.... lol

Exactly why I won't keep CAEs again.

I hear people lamment big CAE's pretty often. I think plecos are much better if you can accomodate their mature size (or trade them out).

The only ones I have had (back when I had big tanks) were the big brown, spiney finned ones. I am not sure of the name--but a very nice fish although they get big and messy. That was back when the fish available were much more limited! (Especially in New Zealand).

i was about to recommand BN pleco as an algae eaer and saw everybody recommanding CAE
the glasses of my tank was covered with algae and the day after my ABN pleco was introduced to the tank, all sides are sparkling clean
i see him at night at work after the lights go out...

i was about to recommand BN pleco as an algae eaer and saw everybody recommanding CAE
the glasses of my tank was covered with algae and the day after my ABN pleco was introduced to the tank, all sides are sparkling clean
i see him at night at work after the lights go out...

Only one person recommended a CAE. Regardless of your tank size, you can't go wrong with BN's though :)

Back
Top Bottom