Algae eating creatures per gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, so I know marine tanks have reccomendations for how much of a cleanup crew per gallon to have, but I was curious if there are the same type of guidelines for FW tanks?

IE: how many algae eating fish/snails/shrimp per gallon on average can a tank support naturally?

Good question. I think you will find that supplemental feeding of wafers and veggies is needed to support most algae eating fish. They simply don't get enough food just grazing on algae.

Lager is right, you will most likely need to supplement whatever you get.

Also, it's highly dependant on what kind of algae eaters you want to get, as to how many we would recommend. What kind do you want?

So then are you saying that basically, there is no real set recommendation, as long as they are all fed? (That is of course though, respecting the inch per gallon guidelines...)

Lager is right, you will most likely need to supplement whatever you get.

Also, it's highly dependant on what kind of algae eaters you want to get, as to how many we would recommend. What kind do you want?

Well, I will be replacing my Bristle Nose Pleco, but was also looking at different types of snails and shrimp... mostly Zebra Nerite snails (cause they dont reproduce in freshwater) and either Red Cherry or Amano shrimp.

But its curious that an aquarium will not produce enough algae to feed any... does this mean that except for some minor cleaning duties, that in FW these guys are simply ornamental

Pretty mush yes. If the tank is well maintained and the lighting is controlled properly They are there for a little cleaning and pretty much just as another fish in the collection. I like dwarf plecos, but mostly to keep though they do keep some algae at bay. Another issue is they all eat different kinds of algae so get a complete clean up crew would be difficult.

Yeah you got to see what kind of algae you normally get, like I normally get a brown algae in my planted tank and that type of algae is otto's favorite type so I got some otto's now my tank is all clean. I only got 2 of em in my 10 gallon and they kepted it cleaned but I should of had atleast 1 or 2 more. (They like to be in groups.)

Back
Top Bottom