Algae-eating Panda Cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
We've been having an algae problem in our tank lately that started out as soft green algae, then had some hair algae as well. We've mostly gotten it under control by feeding less and lessening the amount of time the light was on...or so we thought!

I was watching the tank last night and noticed that one of my panda cories was eating the algae off of our fake plants! I've never heard of cories eating algae, so I was wondering if I've missed something? We were thinking about getting an otto to keep the algae in check, but we might not need to after all!

Anyone else's cories eat algae?

Corys

Hi, All Corys will eat algae, just usually not enough to keep your tank clean. That's why algae wafers and spirulina tabs are used by Cory breeders as part of the spawning conditioning process. - Frank/Guppyman®

Thanks, Guppyman! I feed my cories algae wafer regularily, but just wasn't sure about the tank algae. Maybe I'll see how much headway he makes before purchasing an otto...

My otocinclus have never eaten green algae, only diatoms, unfortunately, though they do eat algae wafers and fresh veggies.

lol scrape ur algae and dry it. then put it back in the tank in tablet form :D

Back
Top Bottom