Algae eating shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody.....I had someone tell me that they had a problem with that black algae that grows on plant leaves and the gravel. They had said there is a shrimp that is pretty common that had cleaned his tank up good. I have no clue to what this little booger was called, but I now have that problem. Anyone help me with the truth to this and if it is true...what is this shrimp called?

Any of the small breeds of shrimp will go after algae, with the Amanos being the most common. Cherry Shrimp, Rili Shrimp, and Crystal Shrimp (and all their color morphs) will also do the job :)

Would any of these shrimp live with a Betta? I just started up another aquarium,just a 15 gal,with live plants.I was thinking ide give one of them poor ,sad looking Bettas in Petco a nice home in it.But, i was also wanting to put a few shrimp in there as well later after it gets established .Will a Betta bother shrimp?

Depends on the betta. Most will tolerate shrimp buddies, but make sure there's some hiding places for the shrimp when it molts. Bettas can easily kill shrimp while the shrimp is waiting for its new shell to harden. There are also some bettas that don't care if the shrimp molted, they'll keep attacking the shrimp regardless. Try it and keep a close eye on them for the first few hours. Male bettas are good at showing whether they'll tolerate a tank mate pretty quickly after introduction.

Back
Top Bottom