Algae eating shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beginer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Japanese Algae eating shrimp is pregnant, she has many eggs under her belly. I believe this shrimp is livebear. Anyone had experienced raising the baby shrimps ? Thanks.

Hmm...... I wonder if you skipped biology in school. If she is carrying eggs she is not a live bearer. The do carry the eggs till they hatch though. If your shrimp is an Amano shrimp then good luck. Some people have managed to breed them but not often. And if there are fish in the tank or a power filter then you don't stand a chance.

Any shrimp I have ever had that carried eggs, they never made it. The fry are so small, most often the fish or the shrimp eat them. Can you put your shrimp in another tank? THat might help for survival. Also, remove the mother once you see the eggs were released.

I have had shrimp breed and survive in my tank. They were the cheap feeder grass shrimp. I filled one side of the tank with regular gravel and the other side with 2 inch coble stone two layers deep. I had lots of shrimp make it to adult size.

Back
Top Bottom