Algae help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright, so almost all of my tanks have algae some worse than others! All of them are planted and some plants also have algae on them! How can I get rid of it?

Alright, so almost all of my tanks have algae some worse than others! All of them are planted and some plants also have algae on them! How can I get rid of it?

Treat it, there are multiple products that you can drip on the plants IN the tank.
Most effective during a water change.

Try to limit the time you keep the lights on, Algae is a plant like any other, less light, less Algae.

Do you inject co2? You can also try some diy root tabs for about 20 bucks you can make hundreds of your own and feed the roots not the water

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No I do not inject co2 but I dose flourish excel on all my tanks! I might have to try root tabs!

Co2, regular light cycles and proper fertilization is the best way to prevent unsightly algae though you will always have some type of algae in your tank it just won't be too noticeable because the plants can out compete it for nutrients keeping it in check.

What size is the tank?

Do you have a pic of the algae? How new is the tank? What sort of lighting do you have? How long do you run your lights? Any natural sunlight? What sort of plants do you have? How often do you do PWCs? What are your parameters like? We need to know these things and what sort of algae you have in order to treat it.

10 gallon 10 watt cfl and I don't know what kind of algae it is!!!! What is a good chemical to treat this that is safe for. Live plants fish snails and shrimp?

You shouldn't use any chemicals aside from excel, you just need to get your tank in balance, how long your lights on?

And I thought my tank was balanced! What could be the issue?

Cut the amount you feed your fish down also. Fluval makes a pretty inexpensive 88 gram co2 system that works well for 10 gallons and under, I really like the one I have and I usually get a month or 2 out of a cartridge

It will help yes. Here is my 10 with co2 injection, marineland double bright leds and diy root tabs

Attachments

• 1398307827679.jpg
    1398307827679.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom