Algae help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've posted about this before but it has progressed and I'm getting concerned because my ottos won't touch it and either will my shrimp. Here's what I've got.....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405655318.886956.jpg

Possible Algae

Hello knut...

There are many species of algae. If you don't like it and there's not too much, remove it manually if it's not a lot of work. Large, frequent water changes fix tank problems. If you have a problem with the tank, 99.9 percent of the time, it's got something to do with the water chemistry. Changing half the tank water roughly every week will help. If it is algae, then it needs nutrients to live. The water change will remove extra nutrients. Floating plants like Hornwort and Common water weed will use extra nutrients and steady the water chemistry. The Water weed gives off a mild toxin that slows the growth of algae.

Give some of these a try.

B

I do a 50% water change once a week. And it might be a little much to remove manually. Any ideas what it is?

Possible Algae

I do a 50% water change once a week. And it might be a little much to remove manually. Any ideas what it is?

Hello again knut...

The more I look at the picture, the more I think this might be a type of moss. Moss growth looks like green sticks, very similar to the plant in the picture. Whatever, it must feed on extra dissolved nutrients in the water.

If you can't remove the stuff manually, then ease back on either feeding the fish or dosing the fertilizer. One or both should slow the growth of this stuff.

B

Hello again knut...

The more I look at the picture, the more I think this might be a type of moss. Moss growth looks like green sticks, very similar to the plant in the picture. Whatever, it must feed on extra dissolved nutrients in the water.

If you can't remove the stuff manually, then ease back on either feeding the fish or dosing the fertilizer. One or both should slow the growth of this stuff.

B

Hey bbrad, I actually haven't dosed in 2 weeks. I've been waiting on an order. It almost looks like a little balls of micro bubbles up close. There is even some on my crypts that hang on by a tiny thread and blow in the current. It's very strange. My nitrates were at 10-20ppm last night, could that play any roll? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom