Algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been fighting algae on my Anubias nana with a combination of excel ( not too much excel afraid to kill my jungle val) peroxide. I am still trying to find a way to shade it properly. I turned my light duration down from 8 to 7 hours. Now my jungle val is starting to get white fuzz on the ends. Should I break up the light duration?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

*and hydrogen peroxide

Any suggestions?

I have not had anubias in a while but recall seeing green spot algae on the older leaves. I also grew it under low light (no ferts, no carbon source).
You could split the lighting to 3 hours on in the AM and 3 hours on in the PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks fresh2o! Thought I would have more responses:( I really want to treat my tank with excel but worried about my vals.

Fresh2o is right. Breaking up your light cycle helps! I've had anubias in high and low tech planted tanks, and my light cycles with all of those tanks have been on 6-10am and then again from 6-10pm.

Algae isn't given a chance to really establish itself well enough to cause problems.

I would suggest adding a timer to your setup, doing a split lighting cycle and seeing how that works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yep, I already have a timer it's on from 3-10pm

Yep, I already have a timer it's on from 3-10pm

Thats 7 hours continuous light. So split that into 2 shorter periods. Say on from 1:00pm - 4:30pm, off from 4:30 - 6:30pm and on from 6:30 - 10:00pm. You can experiment with the times. Having two shorter periods with a two hour break in between gives less chance for algae to take a hold. The total photo period is still the same.

Hi Stacey. I use Excel a lot and, yes, my Vals melted and died but my other plants flourished so I just altered my plan slightly. I have a variety of crypts, Java moss and fern and dwarf swords. However, I have no unwanted algae.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi Stacey. I use Excel a lot and, yes, my Vals melted and died but my other plants flourished so I just altered my plan slightly. I have a variety of crypts, Java moss and fern and dwarf swords. However, I have no unwanted algae.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I really love my vals and they are taking off well (only had them 2 months ). They also are a good addition because I have a tall tank (24"). I'm going to change the light duration to see if that helps first.

Attachments

• 1443477193124.jpg
    1443477193124.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom