Algae Help - Brownish Red on Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Starting to get some redish brown spots on my Anubias and Sword leaves. Not sure what type of algae it is and how to treat it. I have some beard algae that I was able to get off the Anubias with a 10% bleach dip yesterday. Well its not completely off but the stuff looks dead because it turned white... I'm assuming it will fall off in short time. But didn't affect the redish brown stuff... Attach are some pics. Help please :)

Attachments

• image-2663855164.jpg
    image-2663855164.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image-1780239573.jpg
    image-1780239573.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-303984267.jpg
    image-303984267.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 89
I have the same problem. Ill be following this thread!

Is it soft and come off when you rub on it? In that case, it's diatoms and will eventually go away on its own.

No it doesn't rub off. I tried that before and after the 10% bleach dip. It killed off the beard algae but left the reddish brown spots alone. I've had diatoms before when I first started the aquarium over a year ago. This is different.

The thought did cross my mind. However, in some areas the shape of the spots become distorted with the way the water current is in the tank, making me think that it's a type of stubborn algae. Then again, I don't think any algae would have lived through the bleach dip... so maybe it is a deficiency? But what could be causing it? I do have some root tabs in the gravel. I also dose with Aqueon plant food and (occasionally) with Excel.

Mine generally rubs off, must be algae. If yours does not, sometimes brown spots on plants are due to an iron deficiency. You could try adding some iron, I use Seachem Flourish Iron.

Back
Top Bottom