Algae - How is this Possible ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvijay07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10G tank literally flooded with Plants. This tank just has some Guppy fry. Still there is severe dark green algae problem every two weeks on the inner sides of the tank. How is this possible ? I heard that plants will eat all the nutrients and the algae can't thrive. Very confusing.

Vijay :?

Still there is severe dark green algae problem every two weeks on the inner sides of the tank.

You can never get rid of all algae, I have to clean my glass 2x per week.

however, please describe the algae in more detail, I'm suspecting Cyanobacteria, since you said Dark Green.

The plants can never get all the nutrients, so there will allways be some small amount of algae, the goal is to keep it to a minimum, not eradicate it.

Yes, it is very dark green. If I leave it for a month, it becomes about 1 to 2 mm thick almost. Please help.

Vijay

Like Corv said, you will have to clean your glass regularly to keep algae under control. I have to scrap mine once a week minimum. Just goes with the territory of owning a planted tank.

You do say it is dark green which is curious. Normal spot algae isn't extremely dark. What is the wattage of your lights and how long do they run for during the day?

I use a special plant grow lamp. This is about 50 to 100Watts and focused on one half of the 10G tank. It is on for 12 Hours a day approx.

Vijay

Back
Top Bottom