Algae how to grow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy14

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my tank doesn't receive much sunlight. But so I was wondering how can I get algae to grow, that will be fine for my fish

Sent from inside my fish tank

Do algae wafers grow algae or what. Because I have those I just don't know how many to add if at all

I don't have experience with these wafers, however, it would appear through my reading that algae wafers are more for feeding fish/bottom feeders. Check this article here

What kind of algae are you wanting to grow? If you really want some algae, excessive amounts of light for extended periods of time will definitely do the trick

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

What kind of algae are you wanting to grow? If you really want some algae, excessive amounts of light for extended periods of time will definitely do the trick

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

gah! can't believe i forgot to mention this! Yes just blast light and watch your algae grow!

I am definitely curious why you want algae too. If it is for a fish that would eat it personally I think you would be better off getting the wafers and feeding that so the algae doesn't get totally out of control.

But like people said leave the lights on all time (well not all the time - let the fish rest some)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't see my plecostomus eating the wafers just cleaning the glass and I heard fish will eat the algae if there is some

Well also try giving him veggies. Mine loooove cucumber and zuchini. :)
If he isn't going after the wafers it means there is enough bio film and hidden algae in the tank. I wouldn't worry about trying to grow algae.

If he isn't going after the wafers it means there is enough bio film and hidden algae in the tank. I wouldn't worry about trying to grow algae.

Ok thank you

Yea, your pleco should just eat the algae and film in your tank. You may not be able to see it, but he sure can!

What kind of Pleco ?
What size tank ?
Plecos are very messy fish. They poop a lot.

Plecos don't eat every kind of Algae, so growing Algae can be a nightmare.

Common Plecos hit 1-2 feet depending on exact species and will eat all kinds of foods. You don't need to grow Algae for it. They do need very big tanks and big canister filters. Preferably 4x water volume.

Some Plecos eat Meat or Wood.

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-experts/wiegert/the-pleco-predicament.aspx

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/common.php

Most Plecos should have driftwood in the tank as many eat it and it grows more biofilm.

Plecos also can't survive off of algae alone. Try feeding it sinking catfish pellets at night.

Meat should only be about 10% of their diet. They have the long gut of an herbivore even tho they eat like an omnivore ?

It depends on the pleco, many of them eat mostly meat. However, you are generally correct. If they aren't eating the wafers they need something in it's place though.

It depends on the pleco, many of them eat mostly meat. However, you are generally correct. If they aren't eating the wafers they need something in it's place though.

I'm assuming it's a Common. The Meat eaters are typically more expensive and people often know the species.

Mystery Plecos are almost always one of the look alike, giant species, lumped under the Common name.

I fed ours Omega One algae wafers
Zucchini
Romaine
Shelled Green Peas
Once a week they got blood worms
And we kept wood in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom