Algae ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikedbom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all...been working on my algae problem based on the great info provided by these forums but I have an issue that needs help. I have this algae growth in my substrate that is crunchy-like. I've cleaned it out before and it's back. Water chems are good. One live plant. 3 cichlids and a catfish. Cichlids healthy with the exception of a recent and ongoing case of fin rot where my cichlid has lost his entire tail. No history of ANY issues other than algae. Image below. Is this algae or do I have bigger problems ?IMG_1477360264.984311.jpg

Maybe a type of cyano. There are many types. Does it come off easy if you swish the water? Spread out fast?

^^^ Was thinking the same thing. If this is the case, remove as much as possible via siphoning. Good idea to thoroughly rinse out the water change bucket as well to minimize spreading and reintroduction.
Spot treating with hydrogen peroxide *might* work in the short term. If you don't mind using antibiotics, API Erythromycin works great with this.

Erythromycin used to be hard to get a hold of. I did not know API sold it now. Try green slime remover IMO. Might have to order it online though. Vacuuming will get rid of it but it will come right back fast usually. Some people have reported good luck using hydrogen peroxide spot treatments but be careful. You can damage/kill your bio filter that way.

Thanks for the advice so far. The stuff does swish a little but you have to give it a good disruption. It's a lot like lite crust. I'll check out the antibiotics. Any connection with fin rot or tail loss of a cichlid with this algae? They kind of came on at the same time.

never seen that before

Keep me updated. I have the regular green and brown algae on my rocks and back of my tank. I keep it there as the fish nibble on it and it is also good for keeping nitrates and ammonia down.

Mike.:popcorn:

Besides chemicals some quick notes on green slime algae.

Loves stagnant water and nutrients.

After you get a handle on whats in the tank. Feed a lot less and try to remove any flow dead spots. My guess would be that the areas that it is growing has little flow. After you get the excess nutrients, an invertebrate that eats GSA is nerite snails. These are not a cure, but can be part of a program of control.

I only have my canister filter and air stone creating flow. Should I add a powerhead? I read Cichlids don't like a lot of flow. Will SA cichlids leave the snails alone?

Fin rot is bacterial, not the same as an algae.
For Fin Rot I love Seachem KanaPlex.
I do it i a separate 5 gal bucket.

For this crusty algae. Is new to me. Try Amano shrimp and/or MTS snails IMO.

Fin rot is indicative of the same tank parameters. Bacterial infections are opportunistic, poor water quality = illness. What are the tank parameters. Besides treatment i would do plenty of water changes over the next few days.
What cichlids do you have?

Fin rot is indicative of the same tank parameters. Bacterial infections are opportunistic, poor water quality = illness. What are the tank parameters. Besides treatment i would do plenty of water changes over the next few days.
What cichlids do you have?

I know having "poor water quality" can cause weaken the immune system and cause fin rot but I have had plenty of tanks that I kept up with the WC and all my parameters were in spec. Still get fin rot. Seems to prefer fish with big fins like Betta or Fancy Guppy. Goes way faster in warm water as well. I think a lot of times the fish has it already when they come from the pet store but you don't see the effects of it until it gets home and gets more advanced.

I know having "poor water quality" can cause weaken the immune system and cause fin rot but I have had plenty of tanks that I kept up with the WC and all my parameters were in spec. Still get fin rot. Seems to prefer fish with big fins like Betta or Fancy Guppy. Goes way faster in warm water as well. I think a lot of times the fish has it already when they come from the pet store but you don't see the effects of it until it gets home and gets more advanced.

Agreed fish can definitely be sick before added to a tank.
But to have both a cyano and fin rot outbreak at the same time when both thrive in similar conditions lead me to believe that nutrients have built up in the system.

Agreed fish can definitely be sick before added to a tank.
But to have both a cyano and fin rot outbreak at the same time when both thrive in similar conditions lead me to believe that nutrients have built up in the system.

Perhaps. However, good water quality will not fix either condition now that it has occurred.

Back
Top Bottom