Algae is it good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It seems like a lot of people despise algae is it just a cosmetic or aesthetic that they think it makes their tank look ugly? I have a good friend who has a lfs and has for about 20 years and he has always told me algae in your tank is a good thing in small amounts, but yet it seems like people are always trying to get rid of it! He also says algae is a sign of a healthy tank and personally I agree. I love it, lol when I lift up the lid on any of my tanks and get that smell of lake into my nostrils it reminds me of all those good times I've spent at the lakes as a kid and adult and it's such an earthy smell!

I think a little is good as well. Especially if your tank supports those fish that will benefit from munching on it. I enjoy watching my Otos go to work on it like busy little bees! You know come to think of it, I kinda like the smell of my aquarium too. I can see how it would remind me of my times at a lake or as a kid when I went netting for frogs...LOL

The only time algae became annoying for me is when it's on the glass or the one time I had green water from an algae bloom. I would put diatoms up there with annoying but I guess that's not really considered algae.

IN GENERAL, I would say that a little algae is fine and that many of the reasons we want to keep it at bay are aesthetic. We spend a lot of money on tanks and fish, so we want to be able to see them. I have a 5 gallon tank that sits by a window and grows algae like mad. The water params are always good and the fish in it are healthy. I do have to clean the algae off the plants in it though or they have a hard time getting enough light if they get coated with algae. I just scrape the algae off the front glass so I can see the fish. I scrape the other sides too, but not nearly as often.

If you don't use real plants, the algae can actually help reduce nitrates if present in enough quantity. I let the algae grow wild on the drift wood and some decorations, and on the back glass. I think it looks natural.

I let the algae grow wild on the drift wood and some decorations, and on the back glass. I think it looks natural.

+1 ... I've had Brown algae almost from the beginning and by now I'm used to it. I think it adds to the natural look of the deco's.

Algae does not harm fish directly in most cases. As stated it has many benefits, from nutrient export to providing food for tank inhabitants. Many people leave it be except on the front panel of glass.

Tigroscr said:
It seems like a lot of people despise algae is it just a cosmetic or aesthetic that they think it makes their tank look ugly? I have a good friend who has a lfs and has for about 20 years and he has always told me algae in your tank is a good thing in small amounts, but yet it seems like people are always trying to get rid of it! He also says algae is a sign of a healthy tank and personally I agree. I love it, lol when I lift up the lid on any of my tanks and get that smell of lake into my nostrils it reminds me of all those good times I've spent at the lakes as a kid and adult and it's such an earthy smell!

My water smells like that too! Is it cause of algea or cause of dirtyness? I dont know though cause mine kinda smells bad

Does it smell earthy like fresh soil? That's how mine smells. I know mine is not dirty I do regular pwc's every week and vacuum gravel and clean filters every other week. It should smell earthy but not real fishy, if you know what I mean. :)

No no no no no mine is far from that it smells like i dont even know how to describe it. Its not fishy its more like something rotten

I've had this really dark brush algae stuff growing in my tank for months. I've tried blacking out my lights and all that and it just doesn't go away. I've got it contained to two pretty big patches on top of a tree stump and on a dragon statue. I've gotten over the aesthetics of it and the guy at the LFS told me it's not harmful to the fish, it's just ugly. I've made my peace with it. The fish seem to like to nibble on it and the cherry shrimp seem to enjoy hanging out in it and doing their shrimpy thing so I figure what the ****.

I've learned to love algae. Lol. :D

I actually stopped cleaning the back glass of my tank to let it "take over" there instead of everywhere else. I also have 4 Ottos and they are grateful for the free food. They've been plump since I put them in. I love that they are able to survive without me intervening. Makes me feel proud that I have created a little eco-system in my living room.

And yes, if it is a nice bright green algae that is good. Means your tank is able to sustain life. The main problem is getting the light cycle just right so it grows, but doesn't smother everything in the process.

Back
Top Bottom