Algae issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Started having trouble with algae in my 20 gal aquarium. It's been up for about 1 1/2 years in the same location, so I don't know why I'm just having the problem. I scrubbed it with the scrubber, but that really seems to freak my fish out, so I'm thinking of getting an algae eater. When I look at the fish profiles, though, the algae eaters all seem to grow really big. Is there a fish that eats algae well enough to solve the problem that will stay small enough for a 20 gal? Should i get snails instead?

I'd try to figure out what changed and is causing your algae problems before you try to fix the problem with critters.

Possible causes:
- Did you change how long your light is on?
- Did you change something so the tank gets more ambient light?
- Did you add more fish?
- Have you been keeping up with your regular maintenance?

Nerite snails would be your best bet for algae. Otocinclus are small algae eaters, but they don't clean the glass perfectly. Mine really only eradicate diatoms. Mystery snails will eat algae, but they don't clean the glass very well either.

With algae, it's best to treat the source and not the symptoms. Figure out what is making you have algae, and fix it. Maybe something is outside and reflecting more light through a window?

Here is a good chart I found at theplantedtank. I keep a copy just for reference because it is really a good chart.

attachment.jpeg

I'd try to figure out what changed and is causing your algae problems before you try to fix the problem with critters.

Possible causes:
- Did you change how long your light is on?
- Did you change something so the tank gets more ambient light?
- Did you add more fish?
- Have you been keeping up with your regular maintenance?

Nerite snails would be your best bet for algae. Otocinclus are small algae eaters, but they don't clean the glass perfectly. Mine really only eradicate diatoms. Mystery snails will eat algae, but they don't clean the glass very well either.

Thanks, I suppose you're right. This has just been happening in the last few weeks, which have been cooler and less bright than summer, but I probably haven't been as good about tank upkeep. I'll test the water and make sure it's within parameters.

My fish go crazy when I use my magnet cleaner and algae scrubber also! I really hate to use them because the fish just go absolutely nuts. They get all stressed out and dart all over the tank. I always try to do it as quickly as possible so they can calm down. They don't really mind the python, but the magnet glass cleaner seems to really scare them, especially the angels.

They learn to deal. When I clean the algae off my tank's glass, I stick my whole arm in and use a razor blade.

My parameters were normal?

My ph is a touch on the high side, but within acceptable parameters.

I would really like to figure out the issue, or get an algae eater, because I think the scraper is too upsetting for my finny friends. My dwarf gourami battered himself to death in panic when I scrubbed the first time. He was smashing around on things and died a couple of days later. His corpse had scrape marks on it, and he was not having any problems before that that I could see, so I feel sure that that was the trouble.

If you can't figure out what's causing the algae problems, try adding some anacharis to outcompete the algae. I added a few stalks to my wife's 5g to fight green spot algae that was taking over because my wife likes her tank lights on all day. The anacharis has tripled in length in the last week and the algae is starting to recede.

I am trying my hand at live plants for two reasons , One , for a more natural look and Two , to compete with the algae . I keep my living room dark , so I keep my lights on my tank so I can view my fish all day long , I tend to watch them more than the TV .

My sword plants are not doing well

Maybe the lack of competition is causing the algae proliferation?

I need to figure out a way to make plants survive better. The anacharis did not do well. Amazon swords and a java fern are the only things that seem to have survived very well, and now the swords are looking sickly.

Swords are heavy root feeders so you should supplement them with root tabs. If you are trying to compete with the algae you will need some fast growing stem plants like BigJim suggested.

Back
Top Bottom