Algae issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 55g has been set up for at least 4 years now. I switched to planted 8 months ago. I started with java fern , anubias nana, and water sprite. I still have the water sprite, anubias nana, got rid of the java fern mat because it was doing poorly due to the way it was sown into the mat. I added crypt parva and jungle val. The parva is agitating due to it's slow growth. The jungle val was doing well and now some of it is melting after 2 months. My anubias is doing well but is growing algae on the leaves. After a major water sprite trim it is now growing algae. I do have root tabs under the val and parva. My tank is approximately 30" deep (which is a challenge in itself ). I have a aquatop led and fluval full spectrum led. My light is on 6 hours a day starting a week ago (originally 8 hours ) and have gravel substrate. I am at a loss. Help!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohh, I dose with flourish and iron every wc and mid week.

It's tough, been there. You need to maintain a balance, try a bit less lighting time or less intensity, less flourish and see how your plants make out. Also changing water more often to keep nitrates down used to help with my algae.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's tough, been there. You need to maintain a balance, try a bit less lighting time or less intensity, less flourish and see how your plants make out. Also changing water more often to keep nitrates down used to help with my algae.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I thought maybe my nitrates were too low? I perform 50% WC's once a week my nitrates are always 5-10ppm. Also the fact that it's a deep tank I don't know if my lighting is sufficient.

Back
Top Bottom