Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Algae issues

I have a 180 gal freshwater tank. I converted it from saltwater in mid-July of this year. I have a sump that holds approximately 30 gal, but could hold 60 gal if full.

To help with filtering, I put in a lot of 2x2x2 Marine Pure ceramic blocks, along with an 8x8x4 block, in the sump.

The aquarium place that services my tank believes that causes extra algae to grow. I think I experienced an algae bloom common to getting a freshwater tank started.

Are they correct regarding too many ceramic blocks causing algae?

Thank you.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not that I would think. Those ceramic blocks are for beneficial bacteria to grow in. Biological and good. Not to cause algae.

Filtering out mucky food and poo would be with bulk filter pad or a sock type thing in the sump to trap the waste particles.

Algae likes when there is too much light and the phosphorus and nitrogen are higher.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #3

Autumnsky, thank you so much! I have been researching and can't find anything contrary to what you said.

Since you referred me to posting rules, I hope I didn't break one. If I did, I'm sorry. Please point it out to me.

I have Fluval lights on in the aquarium 10 hours a day, 1pm to 11pm. I have a 2 hour sunup programmed and a 2 hour sundown, so 6 hours of intense light in the aquarium. Your response makes me wonder if I should turn down the intensity. I can program the lights, but they aren't as programmable as the Ecotech Radion lights I had on the SW. If you have a suggestion, I'm willing to try it.

I have Kessil lights in the sump. On the side with the plants, I have a H380 that goes 10 hours a day (1am to 11am). On the side with the ceramic blocks, I have an A80 that goes 12 hours a day, midnight to noon. I have African cichlids and at night I am trying to keep the pH up.

Do you think that is too much light? I could run the sump lights during the same hours I run the aquarium lights, but am concerned about the pH dropping during the dark hours. The aquarium does get some natural light, but not direct sunlight.

I started 3 plants in the sump a couple of months ago, and plan to add more as they seem to be doing well.

It is possible I'm feeding too much, though it seems they eat everything in less than 5 minutes. I will try feeding them a little less. If it helps, I have 8 cichlids, 4 clown loaches, 3 catfish, and 2 pleccos in the aquarium. I have 1 plecco in the sump. Some have been in about 4 months; some only about 4 weeks, but all have survived and seem to be doing well.

I run carbon through a carbon reactor and change it about every 6 weeks. That's a holdover from the SW, but still was useful.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #4

Autumnsky, I just read another post of yours and realized the reference to rules is part of your signature. I thought I had done something wrong.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Controlling Algae

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRex View Post
I have a 180 gal freshwater tank. I converted it from saltwater in mid-July of this year. I have a sump that holds approximately 30 gal, but could hold 60 gal if full.

To help with filtering, I put in a lot of 2x2x2 Marine Pure ceramic blocks, along with an 8x8x4 block, in the sump.

The aquarium place that services my tank believes that causes extra algae to grow. I think I experienced an algae bloom common to getting a freshwater tank started.

Are they correct regarding too many ceramic blocks causing algae?

Thank you.
Hello Tex...

Algae thrives in high nutrient water and good lighting. It's that simple. Remove one or the other and in time, it will die back. It's best to reduce the nutrients through large, weekly water changes and to reduce the amount you feed the plants or the fish. You can also introduce, certain house plants that will use the nutrients. Aquarium or house plants are able to use forms of nitrogen faster than algae. So, by simply taking away the food, algae has no means of growing.

B
Old 12-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRex View Post
Autumnsky, I just read another post of yours and realized the reference to rules is part of your signature. I thought I had done something wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, no, the above part from my signature! So sorry for the confusion!!! I will change that up, good to point out that could be misconstrued.

Old 12-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. I've got a couple of things I now know to try, so I'll do that and see how it goes.

Autumnsky, honestly, I should have recognized that as your signature.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good point though, signature has been modified - I omitted the community rules link to avoid miscommunication!

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com