Algae Magnets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do they really work? If so, what brand or type would you recommend getting. I have algae that I can't keep up with growing on the sides of my tank. I am sick of scraping, and I have heard mixed things about the magnets, so I want to have a thread just for them.

I had one brand that didn't work well; they didn't float and didn't have a strong enough magnet to be effective. I can't remember what they were but they're green.

I bought a MagFloat for my 29 gallon tank and ended up buying one for each of my other tanks. It works awesome.

Stick with the MagFloat. A little pricier, but worth it.

ooooo i have one that i absolutly love and i reccommend them!!! they are esp. great for really deep tanks, like one of mine is. i use this brand i think is called mag-o-float, its really strong but if it does get knocked off it floats, which is nice :) also much quicker than an algae pad or such, just swipe swipe swipe and your done!!!

Oh... if its green spot algae, they don't work well for that. The only thing I've found effective for the green spot is scraping. :x

I found a sponge algea thing that works well. Haven't had to use one forever.. I will post the brand tomorow... :)

If you want a really strong one check out the Algae free line. They have floating and non floating magnets availible. These are so strong some of them can barely be pulled apart!

Just make sure that you get the one rated for your tank. Different size tanks have different thicknesses of glass and the small ones can't hold tightly enough to get the job done on bigger tanks. Also, if you have any sand (freshwater people usually don't) then you have to be concerned about a grain of sand getting caught between and scraping the glass.

Back
Top Bottom