Algae on hob filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ff_emt2008

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new here and I have a 55gal tank that has 7 platies, 1 Dalmatian mollie, 2 balance sharks, 3 neon tetra and a Chinese algae eater in the tank. The tank has been running for about 2 1/2 months and I'm starting to get algae in the in feed tube on both of my hob filters. How is the best way to go about cleaning it out? Should I use tank water or tap water and do I need a brush for it

Take the tube off and scrub it. Use whatever method seems best. It's not going to hurt anything if you take it to the sink for a good scrubbing.

I have a couple different bottle brushes, one for baby bottles and one for hummingbird feeders. Plus if you check around on line you used to be able to buy brush kits which included a flexible brush that you can use on the 90 degree turn getting up into the top of the pipe that is one some. Just tank the piece off and give it a good clean.

Thank you for the info. How often should I change the carbon in the filter and how often should I replace the filter it self?

You don't need to replace the filter until it breaks. If you have a planted tank you don't need carbon, if not carbon has a short life, so replacing it is kind of a matter of opinion. I don't use carbon but do use a product called Purgen in my filters. It's can last up to 6 months and you can regenerate it. Don't know if your filter is the kind you can add media to or not. As for the media foam or bag most people just clean them by hand and use them till they are literally falling apart. Personally if you want to use carbon I wouldn't change it more often than once a month unless you have a highly over stocked tank or you keep goldfish.

You really don't even need the carbon in there. Most people just put it in when removing meds after treating for something. You also shouldn't change the filter cartridge until it is pretty much falling apart. That's where all your good beneficial bacteria is going to be. When it is close to time to change it, just put a new in the filter along with the old one. Two weeks should be sufficient to get some bacteria seeded in before you remove the old one. Just keep an eye on you parameters to make sure things stay in check.

What is purgen? How does it differ from other mediums and what r pro and con of it. I'm thinking of switch to a cartridge filter and want to find out more about them like what medium to use

What brand HOB are they? Filters like Aqua Clear can be set up almost like a canister filter since you can add layers of differing media. Most HOB filters use preset "cartridge" type filtering.

What is purgen? How does it differ from other mediums and what r pro and con of it. I'm thinking of switch to a cartridge filter and want to find out more about them like what medium to use

Unlike carbon it won't remove ferts from the water and it lasts so much longer and you can regenerate it and use it over and over. Here is a link to the product info... Seachem. Purigen.

Ok, those use replaceable type cartridges. You should just swish them around in a small bucket of your tank water to remove any built up gunk. Since you running two filters, when the time comes they need to be changed, you can switch them out one at a time. I would do one then wait about two or three weeks to do the other. That way you have both filters with bacteria at all times.

So I got a small brush and clean the tubes for my filters and they look great. Thanks everyone for the advice. I have one more question for all of you. I was at the pet store today and saw the siphon you hook to ur sink so the question is, is it safe to treat tap water after the water is in the tank?

So I got a small brush and clean the tubes for my filters and they look great. Thanks everyone for the advice. I have one more question for all of you. I was at the pet store today and saw the siphon you hook to ur sink so the question is, is it safe to treat tap water after the water is in the tank?

I have an aqueon water changer and love it! You add enough declor to treat the entire tank before you start filling and then add the same amount of declor (prime is the choice one) after your done filling. I do this every week in my 220g. Done it for years in our ponds when doing spring and fall cleaning.

Ff_emt2008 said:

I have the python water changer for my 46g & I love it. I don't do like Rivercats & treat twice but I do add my Prime & ferts before refilling the tank. Makes water changes so much easier.

I have the python water changer for my 46g & I love it. I don't do like Rivercats & treat twice but I do add my Prime & ferts before refilling the tank. Makes water changes so much easier.

Water changes on the 220g would be impossible without one. On the aqueon changer directions it even states to double dose, before and after. I'd rather be safe than sorry but that's just me... lol.

Rivercats said:
I have an aqueon water changer and love it! You add enough declor to treat the entire tank before you start filling and then add the same amount of declor (prime is the choice one) after your done filling. I do this every week in my 220g. Done it for years in our ponds when doing spring and fall cleaning.

Interesting I've just been dosing before adding water, I'm going to try double dosing and se of my fish seem mor comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom