Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Algae or eggs?

The past few days I've noticed green "specks" on the inside of the glass on my tank. I have pond snails that hitchhiked on plants and I'm wondering whether this could be their eggs. As well, my lighting schedule in the past week has been longer than it should (10-12hrs, haven't picked up a light timer yet :s). I have diatoms as well, but in the last week some more greenish coverings have appeared on some rocks. Could someone help identify what kind of algae that is too?

Hard to get a decent picture of the specks. The back of the tank being dirty doesn't help either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4038045827.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	206355   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1945359279.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	206356  

Old 11-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtez View Post
The past few days I've noticed green "specks" on the inside of the glass on my tank. I have pond snails that hitchhiked on plants and I'm wondering whether this could be their eggs. As well, my lighting schedule in the past week has been longer than it should (10-12hrs, haven't picked up a light timer yet :s). I have diatoms as well, but in the last week some more greenish coverings have appeared on some rocks. Could someone help identify what kind of algae that is too?

Hard to get a decent picture of the specks. The back of the tank being dirty doesn't help either.
How old is your tank setup for

Old 11-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnanosmani07 View Post

How old is your tank setup for
I would say it's algae, or it had to do with your sand, due to the fact that I have white sand and my light was on just as the same time as yours and my algae was turning black from white. Now I just siphon the sand to and now I'm left with almost no sand. I'm gonna mix gravel, unless you have a better solutions on how to actually clean the sand
Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What's on the rocks appears to be algae. I would cut back your lighting to about 6 hours a day and see if it helps.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
What's on the rocks appears to be algae. I would cut back your lighting to about 6 hours a day and see if it helps.
Ya that's what I did now and I think the white stuff on back of your tank is water marks, in between your wallpapers the tank.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiller View Post
Yeah I was hoping to know what kind of algae. It rubbed off with just my fingers. Lighting is usually 6hrs a day, just got slack for a few days in a row.

There's no way i can get a better picture of the green specks unfortunately :/ but they're maybe 0.5mm and came off when I rubbed over (with a fair amount of force) with a microfibres cloth

There are water marks, but on the back pane of the tank is algae.

Edit: tank is roughly 2 months old

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com