Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey there. This is my first post so just bear with me. I have a 5.5gal freshwater tank with 2 guppies and 3 tetras. I also have 3 live plants in the tank. I have developed algae on the plants itself and on the gravel. Any ideas on how the fix this? Thanks

How long has the tank been set up and cycled?
What kind of lighting do you have and how long is it on per day?
Is the tank in a location where it receives direct or indirect sunlight?
What color is the algae?

Not sure what would do well in that small a tank for algae. I have an algae problem in my small 3 gallon, but its hair algae that I just physical pull out once a week. I have a nice population of little pond snails that keep all the other algae down. (Some are over a quarter inch! :p)

How many snails? And what kind of snails? And how many and kind of snails would be good for a 10 gal?

Thanks, Beacious. :n00b:

[center:9fb8ce36d6] :smilecolros: Keeper, Welcome to AA!!! :smilecolros: [/center:9fb8ce36d6]

There are fish that like algae, but the bio load on that tank seems to be at capacity (IMHO). You may be able to put an oto in there, but that would be it.
If you were to upgrade to a larger size tank, a rubber-lipped pleco could be added as well as other cleaners. Is your tank located in direct sunlight? None of my five tanks are in direct sunlight and I have at least one algae eater per tank. The tanks and decor are always clean--I should go hug my plecos and butterfly loaches right now!

So far I haven't had any algae problems but if I do does anyone what I should do?

Thanks, Beacious. :n00b:

Pond snails are one of the various hitchhikers you get. They're small, multiply like rabbits, and devastate algae. I probably have at least 40 healthy snails in that 3 gallon. There's really no good way for me to remove them, and they keep all algae but the hair algae nonexistant.

There is a pond withen walking distance of my house. Would it be okay to take a few from the pond?

the tank has been set-up for about 2 weeks. there are 2 flourescent bulbs that i run for about 8hrs a day. the tank does not get alot of direct sunlight. The algae is a dark green in color.

Back
Top Bottom