Algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClearVision94

Aquarium Advice Freak
The water in my tank is a little greenish in color and I know it's free floating algae. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this?

The water in my tank is a little greenish in color and I know it's free floating algae. Does anyone know how I can get rid of this?

Water change or UV steriliser are your best options I think. Another option is a blackout for a few days, so no light for that period which prevents the algae from photosynthesis.

Is it a planted tank?? How long do u leave the lights on each day?

I'd say lightly planted I have like 6-7 stems of water wisteria and a mossball. Every thing else is fake decor. I had two bright fluorescent bulbs, but I switched to low light incandescent bulbs to see if that made a difference. And my wisteria have gone 5 days with out any light. They were really discolored but they got it back and survived...

Hmm.. Try have a this for a week or two and see if it works. Split the photosynthesis period, so let's say each day a total of 6 hours of light. So have the lights on for 3 hours in the morning then off for 4 hours then back on for 3 hours again. It should help

Usually caused by high lights/photoperiods. Check the following for quick awnser:

1. What's your light fixture, and what's the photoperiod? (hrs/day)
2. At any moment of the day, to sun ray reach the tank ?
3. Do you dose ferts ?
4. Is your tank cycled ? GW can be sign of ammonia + too much light...

I use two T5HO of the lenght of my tank, and I can't run it more 6hrs/day or I get huge algae/green water problems...

2 white 10 watt fluorescent bulbs on for 7-9 hrs a day. Tank is cycled

I do not dose anything and the sun dose not reach the tank anytime of the day

T5, T8 or T12 ? What's tank size (gallons?)

Cut the light to 6hrs/day, do a 50% WC, it clarify water.

Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates ??

If you put the tank water in a white bucket, is the water really green, or it's more grey ?

I suppose you have T8 lighting, 20w for 20g should be Ok. Did you forgot the light open for a complete day thoses last days ?

I can't do 50% water change because I have fry in a breeding net at the top of the tank and no where else to put them

Fill a little buck with aquarium water, and put them here temporarly, then do your 50%WC, and put them back in the tank...

Back
Top Bottom