Algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klacid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

I'm new to these forums and very new to fishkeeping. Just two weeks ago I completed my very first aquarium. It's 55 gallons, I use 2x24 T5 bulbs, which I keep on 8 hours a day and not more.

I'm having some huge algae problems. I've been seeing these extremely nasty algae grow more and more on almost every piece of decor, from rocks, to plants and driftwood. The cleanup crew won't touch it. It also makes the water smell awful.

Looks something like this:

mInLD.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll need to completely take my tank apart over it and clean it manually - or will regular algaecides do the trick?

My tank is near a window so I've now bought some blinds that block direct sunlight in the morning. The algae shouldn't appear again. I'm just looking for the best way to dispose of it now.

Thanks!

Not sure what kind it is but I'd recommend a timer for your lights and cut up your photo period with a break half way through, it won't hurt your plants.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As this is a new aquarium, your nitrates are likely very high (even with some aggressive water changes after the cycle). That means your plants are not able to consume all the nitrates and algae forms. Lowering your pH level will slow the growth of the algae without harming the plants. But that means adding a CO2 system (which I'd recommend for any planted aquarium, but is more complicated) or adding bio material like driftwood, peat (in a bag) or almond leaves.
Adding driftwood has the least effect, but it is a simple decoration, so nothing adverse.
Adding peat or almond leaves will cause discolouration of the water (a very weak tea) but has the fastest and most profound effect on pH. Once the algae problem starts to go away as the high levels of nitrate start to come down, you can reduce or even eliminate the peat/almond leaves and the plants should keep the nitrates at 0.

Hi guys.

I'm new to these forums and very new to fishkeeping. Just two weeks ago I completed my very first aquarium. It's 55 gallons, I use 2x24 T5 bulbs, which I keep on 8 hours a day and not more.

I'm having some huge algae problems. I've been seeing these extremely nasty algae grow more and more on almost every piece of decor, from rocks, to plants and driftwood. The cleanup crew won't touch it. It also makes the water smell awful.

Looks something like this:

mInLD.jpg

I'm not sure if I'll need to completely take my tank apart over it and clean it manually - or will regular algaecides do the trick?

My tank is near a window so I've now bought some blinds that block direct sunlight in the morning. The algae shouldn't appear again. I'm just looking for the best way to dispose of it now.

Thanks!

If you don't currently have one you need a liquid test kit so we can get an idea of your tank parameters. The API master test kit will work just fine. I agree with shortening the time your lights are on for now. When you said you "completed your first aquarium," were you referring to setting it up or cycling? What fish do you have and how many? Are you using the lights that came with the tank? What type of bulbs?

If you don't currently have one you need a liquid test kit so we can get an idea of your tank parameters. The API master test kit will work just fine. I agree with shortening the time your lights are on for now. When you said you "completed your first aquarium," were you referring to setting it up or cycling? What fish do you have and how many? Are you using the lights that came with the tank? What type of bulbs?

2x24W T5 bulbs. It's done cycling, and I'm (finally) happy with the plants and the hardscape.

At the moment, I have 3 angelfish, 9 neon tetras and 15-ish harlequin rasboras.

I've taken out everything while temporarily housing the fish elsewhere. Scrubbed the driftwood, stones, everything inside clean, and did a large water replacement. Tossed the plants out too, they were pretty crappy and I've found nicer-looking ones in the meantime...

Hopefully the algae doesn't return...

You mentioned that you started the tank 2 weeks ago, which is why I asked about cycling. I'm curious as to how you accomplished that. Do you have any way to test for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates?
I'm concerned that even though you cleaned everything and removed the algae it may return because we haven't fixed the root of the problem.
The brown patches on the leaves looks like diatoms to me. It appears in new setups and typically goes away on its own in my experience. The threadlike algae could be several different types. Hard to tell. You will need to find a balance between your lighting and your plant requirements. As suggested you could go the C02 route. Depends what you want to put into it. I personally haven't had t5's in a few years, and when I did I battled algae too.

It's been at least 3 months since I actually filled the tank - I said I "completed" it two weeks ago, though I should've been clearer... What I meant is I've stopped adding new plants or messing with the hardscape, and stopped stocking for the time being. Took some water to my LFS and they've told me the parameters were fine

At the moment I don't have a way to test the parameters myself, I can go out and buy a liquid test kid if necessary...

Would moderate doses of CO2 affect my stocking options or possibly harm my fish?

Thanks

API master test kit is practically essential.

CO2 dosing will affect your stocking options in that it will lower your pH. Tanks are all different, though, so you need to test and see.

I have a 29 and 20 long right next to each other. Always use the same water for changes. Somehow, the 29 stays around 7 whereas the 20 long stays at about 6.4.

Back
Top Bottom