Algae problems in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i'm really getting frustrated, i have a 29 gallon bowfront, with 2x24watt t5ho light. I have a few plants. But my filter constantly gets this red slimy algae where the water comes out, the plants all have this brown algae on it, along with all the decorations and heater. And the sides can't go much longer than a week before you start seeing some major green algae. I leave my light on for an average of like 5-6 hours a day. Is it something with my water??? I almost just want to get a regular non plant light and just toss out the whole plant idea... Thanks for any input!!!

Well more plants might help. What type of plants though? You are pretty much at a high light level right now. Also seachem excel may help.

GodFan said:
Well more plants might help. What type of plants though? You are pretty much at a high light level right now. Also seachem excel may help.

I've got java fern, and anubias nana. I thought I had low light being I only have about 1.5 wpg

I've got java fern, and anubias nana. I thought I had low light being I only have about 1.5 wpg
Ok part of your problem is right there. I have a 26 bowfront with a 2x14 watt t5 NO and it grows algae fast with my low light plants. I would guess that my tank is medium light. You can easily get some higher light plants. If you want to keep the plants you have and the light you have then get a floating plant to block some light. Also get a greedy one like duckweed so it absorbs the extra nutrients that the algae would otherwise use.
Now the brown algae might be something else. What substrate are you using? It sounds like diatomic algae to me which is caused by silcates.

Hmmm.... that shouldnt cause diatoms. Its normal for new tanks. Is it new? Gravel substrate can be great for some plants BTW. Cabomba and vals for example like the gravel for the root nutrients.

No it's not new. I remember having diatoms when it was new though. It's just spotty all over the plants and decorations.

Attachments

• image-2481612497.jpg
    image-2481612497.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 54
  • image-274317785.jpg
    image-274317785.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 51
  • image-2311362106.jpg
    image-2311362106.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom