Algae Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jps39

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm starting to get a brown coating on my gravel and on my artificial plants in my 35 gal FW tank. Could this be algae? I'm not familiar with the different types of algae, and mostly think of it as being green. It's not bad at this point, and i just want to get a handle on it before it get out of control.

I don't have any algae eaters or snails, but am considering some oto's.

When I use to keep tanks with fake plants I had this same problem. Besides getting some snails, I don't think ottos will eat this type of algae, about the only thing you can do is scrape your glass off and soak your non-porous decorations in a mild bleach solution, making sure to rinse well in hotwater.

jps, brown algae is really not algae, but a over abundance of diatoms(little bacteria in your tank). It is usually a sign that the tank needs cleaned and that your nitrates are getting high. When was your last water change?

Also, do you leave your tank light on all night long? If so, this can cause a lot of algae to grow in your tank as well.

Oto's will help your problem, or just one plecostomus. You decision really. HTH!

Otos *will* help you. I had setup a 6gal tank without algae eaters, and I had these brown algae on the screen. Yesterday I added 2 otos after the tank was cycled, and well, not all, but most of the diatoms are gone! Give them a week, and it will be gone

i recently had a brown algae problem. i read that it is common to have one in relatively new tanks. the algae brushes off relatively easily, and water changes do help. mine lasted a couple of weeks and then just as quickly seemed to abate. i didn't bother with bleach or anything....i just kept brushing off the plants and decor and doing water changes, and now there doesn't seem to be much of a problem anymore.

good luck.

Diatoms actually can be reduced by increasing lighting, interestingly enough, but that will also allow other types of algae to thrive, as well. The otocinclus I have had ate only diatoms, and would not touch green algae, so I have to supplement them with algae wafers.

Diatoms will generally no longer be a problem after the tank ages a bit.

Thanks. My Tank is a recently cycled tank, and the nitrate levels are rising. Hopefully reg. water changes, and a oto will aleviate the problem.

Thanks to all who responded.

Back
Top Bottom