algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PotRoastMan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the hobby, and have had 2 fish for 1 month today in a 29 gallon tank. Cycle appears to be going well, this morning I tested and amonia is near zero and nitrite is rising as expected..

I've been noticing some algae growing on the driftwood, and a couple spots on a big rock. Should I do something about this?

That just indicates excess nutrients in the water. I would feed the fish everyone day--don't worry, they can handle it :wink:

*giggle* I think she meant everyother day. hehe. yes they can handle it. or just feed half of what you normally do. Other than that, it looks pretty normal to me. Most tanks have a little, some people even like it. Its your call! Maybe it doesn't bother you....

While you are trying to get the tank cycled I would ignore things like algae if you can. Try to leave the tank alone as much as possible because it is easy to disturb the bacteria.

Yeah.
Get a pleco.
They're a lot of fun. Easy to take care of. And really get down to work.
Spend a little bit more and buy a fancy one. They grow to a smaller sizer than the common ones and a are a bit cuter.
Bristlenoses are nice. Clowns just look weird to me. Jeff
PS On the topic of Plecs, what PH do they like? I have mine in a slightly hard African cichlid tank.

Wait until the cycle is done before getting a pleco, but I have a hard time stocking a tank without at least one, LOL!

No fish like high nitrites, but are Plecos any worse than most fish?
In any event, from the photo above, he wouldn't go short a meal. Jeff

Plecos are remarkably adaptable, and many can be kept in a hard, alkaline tank as well as in a soft, acidic tank, provided they are very slowly acclimated.

Same goes for nitrate - if they are moving from a relatively low nitrate tank, say at the LFS, and they get to my tank and it has a high nitrate level, that could kill the fish pretty quickly from stress.

After the tank is cycled, add a pleco, if you like their looks. Bristle Nose, Rubber Nose (Lip or Mouth--lots of names for this one), pitbull or clown are all smaller plecos. Just look around! I will be posting my young clown plecos soon (once I get the pics off the camera).

Thanks everyone..
I do want a pleco, so thats good. If he happens to finish up the algae will he also sift through the sand? I'll wait until the cycle is complete before getting one.

The algae doesn't bother me, as long as it goesn't get out of control. I wanted to be sure it wasn't a bad thing. I guess it means my tank is alive! It supports life! Amazing... :D

I have 2 giant danios so far, I was thinking I should have a couple more for the school. The two I have kind of chase each other around, I think they'd like a couple new friends. How many fish can I add at at time (after cycle of course)?

First of all let me just say it is not a good idea to buy fish in pairs. From my own experience two fish of the same species ALWAYS bullied one another, but if there is more than two of the same species they get along fine.

Second of all everytime you buy a new fish put in a hospital tank first & watch it for 2 weeks. If it appears healthy, move it to the community tank. You can avoid lots of diseases brought in by new fish by doing this. I would add one fish at a time.

Giant danios are, well, pretty large, so I definitely think you should get more but they will become sortof the "feature" fish of the tank, and will use up a good bit of your space. I personally think they have lovely colors and they will appreciate having other members to school with.

Back
Top Bottom