Algae under lamp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
In my 56 gallon tank, I've got a single Marineland "Natural Daylight F18T8NDL" lamp providing illumination. I've noticed that over the course of 2-3 weeks, on the glass under the lamp, green algae is forming to the point where it starts to act like a lighting gel and tints the light green. I don't have an algae issue in my tank itself, and the walls are clear of algae, as well. I'm guessing this growth is due to the splash/splatter of water from the filter outputs and airstone.

Is there anything I can do to the glass to prevent this from forming, or do I just add the cleaning to my weekly tank maintenance routine? Is it possible that the heat from the lamp is contributing to the growth (ie, would I benefit from having an LED fixture instead)?

I'm wondering if after wiping it down and cleaning it all off, if I should do a final wipe with a towel/rag that has been wet with plain white vinegar. Not enough to drip into the tank, obviously, but I'm wondering if the residue will impede the growth, or will the splash/splatter just carry the residue into the tank and cause all the havoc we strive to avoid? Or maybe an uber-thin layer of Vaseline?

i have the same problem with my 55 and just wash it off every couple weeks

Algae Question

In my 56 gallon tank, I've got a single Marineland "Natural Daylight F18T8NDL" lamp providing illumination. I've noticed that over the course of 2-3 weeks, on the glass under the lamp, green algae is forming to the point where it starts to act like a lighting gel and tints the light green. I don't have an algae issue in my tank itself, and the walls are clear of algae, as well. I'm guessing this growth is due to the splash/splatter of water from the filter outputs and airstone.

Is there anything I can do to the glass to prevent this from forming, or do I just add the cleaning to my weekly tank maintenance routine? Is it possible that the heat from the lamp is contributing to the growth (ie, would I benefit from having an LED fixture instead)?

Hello d...

Algae will grow anywhere where there's enough water, light and dissolved nutrients. I had a bit of it attached to places near the HOB filters and heaters for a while, but when I cut back on feeding my plants and fish to twice weekly, the algae disappeared. Apparently, I reduced the phosphate in the water to the point, the algae starved.

If you do reduce the amount you feed to just a little a couple of times a week, algae doesn't have an enviroment where it will grow.

B

I'll stick with just wiping it down every other week for now. I'll grab a phosphate test kit and see what my levels are like.

(I don't have a planted tank yet, though my nitrates are higher than I'd like them to be, so I'm going to toss in a few plants to see if that kicks down the nitrate level any)

Back
Top Bottom