Algae Wafers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samt1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, I have my clown Plec and want to give him some other food and have read that Algae Wafers are the way to go so wondering if that's correct and what are good ones to get?

I give mine the new Tetra mutli wafers, they apparently have extra nutrients and he defo seems to enjoy them! i also give him cucumber regulalry - he's quite big though so needs plenty as we recently moved him to a new tank so not much algae built up yet though!

I give mine the new Tetra mutli wafers, they apparently have extra nutrients and he defo seems to enjoy them! i also give him cucumber regulalry - he's quite big though so needs plenty as we recently moved him to a new tank so not much algae built up yet though!

Cheers mate, i'll have a look at them, mines tiny as just bought him last week. I have had cucumber in there a couple of times.

awww bless i remember when mine was tiny! He's now an 8 inch beast! brilliant fish though - he's really become part of my family and has defo got a right little character!!!

I would like to start feeding my bn cucumber. From what I've read you are supposed to blanch it first. Will the piece sink or do I have to weigh it down somehow?

You should use zuchinni instead of cucumber. After I blanch mine they always float so I use a clip designed to hold the zuchinni, or you can use a rubberband.

How many algae wafer do you guys add at a time? My Tetras tend to flock around mine before the Otos get to them. I've got 7 Otos in my 48 gallon (too many I know, I was told 50% would die off, but they're all happy and healthy).

I use only Hikari and New Life Spectrum algae wafers. Use a vegetable clip for blanched peices of zucchini and cucumber ;)

Hikari seem to be the algae wafer of choice in UK. They have a better consistency and hold together better than most. My BN Pleco smother's the whole thing seconds after it hits the bottom. Blanched peas are good too. I get a few frozen peas and just let them thaw, remove the thin skin and pop the two halves in the tank (no need to blanch, they already got that in prep to be frozen !)

eco23 said:
How many algae wafer do you guys add at a time? My Tetras tend to flock around mine before the Otos get to them. I've got 7 Otos in my 48 gallon (too many I know, I was told 50% would die off, but they're all happy and healthy).

If there a suckermouth like catfish they eat at night I put em in just before I shut the lights off, never had a problem, none of my tanks ever grow Algae with or without a tub scrubber so I gotta feed him everyday usually two where I want him huge lol

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm going to a new Aquarium shop near me I haven't been to so gonna pick some up then. If mine gets to be about 4-5 inches in size that'll do me and my tank I think! :) Still only seen hime 2 or 3 times in the couple of weeks I've had him, and one of those times was because I had to remove the piece of wood he hides under to get some snails off, just have to presume he's ok under there :)

Most of my fish - except for the harlequins, love an algae wafer - it's a bit of treat for them! The catfish don't get a lookin - I tend to use algae pellets to feed the catfish! - Although the barbs can swallow one of them whole!

IMO that's fine - The guideline I follow is no more than 1 per 5 gals should be fine w/o other algae eaters in the tank.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm going to a new Aquarium shop near me I haven't been to so gonna pick some up then. If mine gets to be about 4-5 inches in size that'll do me and my tank I think! :) Still only seen hime 2 or 3 times in the couple of weeks I've had him, and one of those times was because I had to remove the piece of wood he hides under to get some snails off, just have to presume he's ok under there :)

What size tank is it? You would not believe how much a 5" pleco poops. I was shocked...

LMAO I know right. I have a little 2" pitbull pleco that I swear can poop 3x his own length..ridiculous.

Do read the ingredient labels on the so called "algae wafers" as some have very little algae in them with 3 or 4 ingredients ahead of it. Wardley has algae as the first ingredient.

Back
Top Bottom