Algae- what kind is this and how to kill it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been cycling a tank for my son and I have had this algae pop up and I need to deal with it. Suggestions plz. IMG_1478656388.951429.jpg

Bga, erythromycin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do I need to remove the snails? Any particular brand you recommend?

I have a UV light, would that do it? I would remove the snails definitely for this.

Last edited:
I increased flow to the affected areas, did more water changes and kept siphoning of out. Went away fairly quickly.

The method suggested above is a sure fire remedy. Not sure how it affects livestock though.

Thanks Fresh and Caliban.
Fresh I don't know why but adding erythromycin just scares the crap out of me.

I'm going to go with increasing flow, water changes and peroxide direct treatment first for 2 weeks as well as some UV bombardment and if it fails go to the drugs.

Thanks Fresh and Caliban.
Fresh I don't know why but adding erythromycin just scares the crap out of me.

I'm going to go with increasing flow, water changes and peroxide direct treatment first for 2 weeks as well as some UV bombardment and if it fails go to the drugs.

Not to detract from Brooksters and Fresh's advice (because I have reason to believe the drug mentioned will work) but as I cannot get hold of that drug here in the U.K I had to resort to other means.

I myself do try to avoid medications wherever possible.

IMG_1478699393.978582.jpg

IMG_1478699426.697208.jpg

IMG_1478699463.050064.jpg

Here are a few snaps from when I had it bad. This was when I had my fluval 205 filter on the vision 180. Around 4x flow at best. Added the JBL and upper my water change frequency and it just dwindled. I think flow has an important role to play for combatting some types of algae.

Non-drug options are always a good way to go if possible. This is coming from someone who has only used Rid-Ich about 4 years ago. The EM was a quick solution to a chronic problem.

I forgot to thank Brookster!
If all else fails API will be getting my money. Thx

Did another big water change today and did the UV. I'm watching and keeping my fingers crossed. IMG_1478910919.502212.jpg
IMG_1478910932.769848.jpgIMG_1478910955.784159.jpg

Back
Top Bottom