Algae- who actually likes it and leaves it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just can't stop my algae attack so I have just given up. I know how to reduce it's growth but it is too rapid a growth. Anyone else let there algae grow or actually enjoy the natural algae look?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the look of it completely covering the back glass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just be careful with how much you leave - "too much" can actually result in a lack of oxygen for other organisms.

I use seachem Flourish in conjunction with liquid ferts and tabs, also my tank is not in any sun light..........

I have very small patches of bba on my driftwood. I actually don't mind it at all. It isn't overbearing and I sometimes see my Amano shrimp grazing on them when the lights are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I also leave patches of it. I rarely get too much, but it is really not something I fret about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I let it grow on rocks and dw, the fish graze it and it gives a natural look that "I" enjoy.. anything on the leaves and it's modern warfare! I got slammed by clado in one of my tanks and I've kind of let the tank take care of it, letting the plants compete and the corys eat.. i may have dumped 5 giant amano shrimp.in there to aid in the efforts:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

.. anything on the leaves and it's modern warfare!

LOL

My algae hasn't really grown so it isnt a big problem, but if it is on the glass I break out the scubbing pad

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would like to know if the sun is on your tanks, as this has a big plus for algae.........

The sun was the main factor in my issue... tank was by a window, I'd shut the shade and my gf would open it after I left for work >:!... i moved it into the dining room and screwed the shades down!!

Ok that is WAY to much!! Need some otos in there!

5 in there.. it looks much better now, that was from a month ago..

I see why you went to modern warfare on that stuff then!!

Love your GBR, are you concerned about your algae?

Nah... it's not bugging me as much as it did before. It's a learning process, my 3 other tanks look pretty darn good so that helps too;)

Lol brookster! Before my bf was staying with me my mom would constantly leave the blinds open when she came to walk the dog while I was at work and I tried explaining why she can't do that and she just gave me a dirty look and said I can't leave the dog in the dark. Needless to say she doesn't come let him out anymore haha. Can't move the tank or screw them down here though! Only one window in my small apt.

Lol brookster! Before my bf was staying with me my mom would constantly leave the blinds open when she came to walk the dog while I was at work and I tried explaining why she can't do that and she just gave me a dirty look and said I can't leave the dog in the dark. Needless to say she doesn't come let him out anymore haha. Can't move the tank or screw them down here though! Only one window in my small apt.

We have soooo many windows... she liked looking out at the street... pffffff.... well I like looking at an algae free tank!! Anyways... i win!!! Move a 20 tall loaded with 50 lbs of substrate any day of the week! Twice on sunday.. literally.. sorry caliban.. I'll shut up now;)

Back
Top Bottom