Algaefix??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes in the past before the outbreak, I changed it every 2 weeks or so, but after the outbreak I started reading, and I found that people say changing the water actually makes the algae outbreak worse. But I didnt calculate in whether it would help if I werent using any light at the time. The strange thing is, I also own a 29 gallon in which I hardly ever change the water 8 times a year and the water is crystal clear and the fish are having a jolly good time. All I do is top it off with water when it gets low and its fine. I even grow hygro cuttings at the top all year long.

MantisX

I disagree that stopping ferts will help algae. The algae is able to utilize nutrients in the water (often this is phosphate, check your tap for this troublesome nutrient) easier than the plants. If the plants have proper light, CO2, trace minerals, macronutrients, etc. then they can utilize the phosphate present in the water before the algae can, and voila, no more algae. It is going to take some time and a lot of water testing before it will be resolved, and a great deal of patience, which I am personally short on, but if you want to really solve it, you need to balance the nutrient/CO2/light ratio, as Rex has said.

Also, if you do decide to cover the tank, the ram and the plants will be completely fine for 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom