Algea. And nerite snail question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daveb82

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank. It's been going two month now. I have about ten plants right now, hoping to add more soon. I have 216 watts so 3.9 wpg. I have 2 10,000 lights on for 3 hours a day and 2 6700 lights on for 9 hours a day. So 9 hours total the 3 hours of 10,000 over lap. I am gettin ALOT of brown algie. I only have a couple cichlids right now. I bought a albino bristlenose to help with algea but I think he is destroying my plants (iv seen him on them). I am thinking about getting a nerite snail. I have a 3d background that has aquarium safe paint but I am worried that the snails might take off paint. Will they? Also any other advise on algea, plants, lights, anything lol will help alot.

I also have two canister filters and have added two huge doses of cycle.

Thanks

Firstly, the brown algae you see isn't really algae; it's a diatom bloom. It typically happens with newer tanks (it's happened with mine).

I believe all of the good algae eaters will consume the diatoms pretty quickly. The bristlenose pleco is one of the better algae eaters too, so it should make quick work of them. I had thought that those aren't bad for plants, but I'm not certain; perhaps someone else could comment?

Nerite snails would help with the algae growth as well, yes; you could put a few in there to help with the algae. I don't think the ciclids would bother them, but I don't have any; again, someone who has cichlids should comment.

One thing I will say is that it seems like you may have too much light on that tank for too long. You might want to scale back the total amount of light to 10 hours daily. Do you have high tech plants that need that much light?

None of my plants need very high light. I do have some that say medium-high. I have the 6700 on alone from 9-11am them from 11-2 I have both 10,000 and 6700 on and then from 2-5 is just 6700. From 5-10pm I have just moon lights on there lunar LEDs. From 10-9am is darkness. Is that ok

I am just really worried nerite snails will eat/suck paint of

I have two nerite snails in my community tank. They help clean out a lot of the waste and algae. I also have kribensis and blue ram cichlids. They pay the nerite snails no mind. My guppies, balloon mollies, and gourami however do sometimes harass the snails.

BUT.... the snails can fend for themselves. They usually like to hide, and when they come out their shells and trap doors protect them but they aren't bothered often.

Several things here...

1) As stated above, the stuff you're seeing is most likely diatoms. These are considered part of the process and "New Tank Syndrome". The diatoms feed on high silicate levels, and they're so common in new tanks because of the new silicone used to build the tank creates a very high-food environment for the diatoms to feed on. They typically burn themselves out of food (several weeks to a few months) and then won't bother you again (unless you have another source of high silicates in your water source or something.)

2) IME in general most algae eaters won't touch the diatoms. The only ones I've had success with them are otto catfish. For a planted tank, ottos are good to have a few of anyway, so they're something to consider as I think they'd be beneficial to you long-term. 4-5 would be my recommendation for a 55g tank.

3) Wow, you have a TON of light on that tank. I understand you're trying to control your photo-period of it, but that is so much light it's going to cause you major problems in the long run. I'd recommend a few things here for you to consider since I don't know the specifics of your light fixture. a) swap out at least half of the bulbs for actinic lighting. Actinic lighting yields no benefit to plants and 99% of FW algaes, so there's no downside to them, and they can cause the colors in your cichlids to really pop out. b) only run half of your lights during your photoperiod. Some fixtures have the ability to control individual bulbs, or sets of bulbs, from a separate power cord and/or switch. If you have this, I'd recommend shutting off at least half of bulbs.

4) Highly unlikely that the BN pleco is eating your plants. They're not known for being plant pests at all, so I don't think this is what is eating your plants.

5) Nerite snails are awesome in planted tanks as well. Get a dozen of them if you want. They will help with algae problems, but they're not the end-all of algae (no amount of algae eaters are). If you're encountering algae issues you need to diagnose and get to the root of the problem and solve the source of the algae, or you'll never stay ahead of it. Diatoms are different, as stated above. Let me also state that if you continue on running close to 4WPG of lighting that you will have serious uncontrollable algae issues, and it's better to ward them off now before you get behind the power curve.

I think I hit most of the highlights, I hope that helps!

I don't know what to think about that paint...nerite snails are so awesome for algea...but they do seem to have a pretty powerful mouth..it looks like they have two litte scraper thingies in there. I would doubt they could scrape that paint off but I just don't know.

You mean brown algae as in a dust? Or brown hair algae. I have tons and tons and tons of brown hair algae. I just recently thought I was winning the fight and suddenly a HUGE boom in algae comes. But anyways. If it's diatoms otocinclus and frequent water changes will clear it up in a month.

Brown hair algae I have yet to figure out. I know it probably came from an iron OD when I was trying to redden my blyxa. I also have a feeling my 80ppm nitrates isn't doing it any good either.

I've also observed it only occurs in areas of very high, unobstructed light and lower flow. Hope this helps.

Just an fyi -- nerite snails have no problem stripping paint from decor! Just had to pull a piece of decor out of my tank last week because of this!

Back
Top Bottom