Algea Destoryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishylittlenemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some suspended algea in my tank. And I've been kickin the idea around about gettin some algea destoryer....the only thing that hasn't made me get it is that its a chemical and i'd like to have my tank chemical clear as can be but if u got to add some u got to. So my question is, is this a good idea of getting this?

I've used it with great success. But it's not the cure. If you don't fix what's causing the algae to grow, it will come back just as fast. If you don't want to use chems, which I recommend you don't use chems, is total blackout for 3-4 days.

What kind of lighting and how many watts?
Nitrate level?
Phosphate level?
Ammonia level?
Nitrite level?
Does the tank get direct sunlight?
How big is the tank and how many fish?
Any live plants?

which I recommend you don't use chems, is total blackout for 3-4 days.

Agreed. In addition to answering these questions, a blackout will starve the photosynthetic algae of life. The only problem is if you have live plants in your tank.

Devilishturtles said:

Agreed. In addition to answering these questions, a blackout will starve the photosynthetic algae of life. The only problem is if you have live plants in your tank.

Devlish,

Live plants are a more complex form of life, and are able to store food to survive longer blackout periods. Algae is a simple life form, and can't store up much food/energy.

A 3-5 day blackout, with a towel wrapped around to completely starve the algae shouldn't have a huge impact on live plants. Yes they'll be a little stunted, but they should rebound...especially if they were doing well before the blackout.

I too recommend a blackout over 'algae destroyers'. Many algicides use a strong dose of phosphate to kill algae. unfortunately phosphate is a source of food for algae at lower concentrations...so typically after a waterchange or two...bam! the algae is back overnight in full force.

Find your Nitrate and Phosphate readings. Algae forms when there's a lot of light (like on a planted tank, or a tank that gets direct sun from a window) and when nitrates and phosphates aren't balanced.

Well I'm gonna do the blanket thing tomorrow. For telling you whats in my tank like nitrate, nitrites, ammona, and phosphate...I have no clue cuz I haven't been able to get any test stuff yet....this week tho when i get paid I will cuz i want to know whats in that tank. I have no live plants, and its not in direct sunlight. However I do have enough fish in it....i have 2 sucker fish..small ones....., 3 cichlids which are dirty fish, and a tiger barb, and 1 catfish. The catfish and the cichlids are all both about 4" long. i'd like to get at least another tiger barb tho, so it won't be alone. I have pics of my tank on my profile in here if you's like to look what i had in there. Its different now. Its startin to clear up abit after doing like 2 partial water changes a week and cuttin down on the light.

Sorry for not replying for awhile...I had computer problems I had to fix. I tried the blanket trick and it actually helped clear up the tank. I didn't leave it on there for 3 days though. I lefted it on there for almost 2 days. And I also found I believe to be the problem. It was simple..too much light coming from the windows. So I fixed that problem, and guess what it really hasn't grown or what since I've done that. lol..Hurray!!

malkore said:
Devilishturtles said:

Devlish,

Live plants are a more complex form of life, and are able to store food to survive longer blackout periods. Algae is a simple life form, and can't store up much food/energy.

Thanks for the tip, Malkore. I know that plants store sugars and such to make up for the loss of light, but I wonder how long a plant can actually survive without light? Considering of course that is has no dark photosynthesis stage. A little experimentation might be in order. :)

Back
Top Bottom