Algea in breeder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ever since I treated my 10gal for ich I have had a film on top of the water. I thought it was going away when I added the carbon back to the in tank filter. But it is still there, now the crushed flake food doesnt seem to penetrate into the water very well and then floats back up and stays on top and starts to pool by the filter outlet stream. NOW I have green algea starting to grow on the rock and on the plastic plants. I put my pleco in there last night to try to start cleaning up the algea.

My params have been:
0 nitrites
~10-15 nitrates

pretty stable but I will get another reading tonight.

Any suggestions??????????????

2 things you can do...skim the surface with a papertowel or newspaper to absorb the oil slick, then increase the turbulance on the surface with the use of a powerhead, or even a large airstone would work in a tank that small.

spittinfly said:
Ever since I treated my 10gal for ich I have had a film on top of the water. I thought it was going away when I added the carbon back to the in tank filter. But it is still there, now the crushed flake food doesnt seem to penetrate into the water very well and then floats back up and stays on top and starts to pool by the filter outlet stream. NOW I have green algea starting to grow on the rock and on the plastic plants. I put my pleco in there last night to try to start cleaning up the algea.

My params have been:
0 nitrites
~10-15 nitrates

pretty stable but I will get another reading tonight.

Any suggestions??????????????

What did you use to treat for Ich? Was there anything else added to the tank that might be contributing to the problem?

Will the aeration help reduce the algea? No I didn't use or do anything else to the tank since. All I used for meds was "Ich Away" from Wal-Mart.

no..aeration wont help with the algae problem. I was addressing the surface scum problem. Algae is a whole nother story.

Back
Top Bottom