Alien Themed Tank Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corrado33

Aquarium Advice Freak
I remember reading someone else's thread where an alien themed tank was briefly mentioned. (I'm stealing a lot of ideas from it) Anyway, I was thinking that I'd do one eventually.

What I was thinking was to use black substrate (gravel probably), and somehow try to have light come up from the bottom of the tank. Just enough so you can see the cracks between the rocks. Then I could make some scary lookin rock overhangs (with black or dark grey rock). I could also maybe use some crystals or something as decor? As long as it didn't leak anything into the aquarium. Then, if the crystals were clear all of the way to the bottom, with the light shining up from the bottom, they'd light up. It'd look sweet.

As for the fish the neon fish (whatever they're called, the neon danios EDIT: Glo fish... duh), are a must, as well as a blacklight. Then I could get some albino cory cats maybe, and some of those ghost fish (the ones that are clear all of the way through).

Any other ideas? Any pics of something like this done already?

You could do the light under the tank pretty easily if you build a custom stand. Just leave a hole in the center and mount the light from underneath. What size tank is it going to be? Ghost catfish (I think that is what you were referring to) like to be in schools so they wouldn't be suitable for 10g.

HN1 and I have some albino black neons that would look pretty slick in there. :)

This is a cool idea. I'll be following along.

You could do the light under the tank pretty easily if you build a custom stand. Just leave a hole in the center and mount the light from underneath. What size tank is it going to be? Ghost catfish (I think that is what you were referring to) like to be in schools so they wouldn't be suitable for 10g.

I think by the time I actually do this I'd have bigger tanks available. I already have a 55 and 20 in the basement. I dunno, maybe I'd do it in the 20.

Instead of the black gravel, get clear plastic decorative "rocks" and some cold cathode computer lights to illuminate the tank from underneath. You could also strategically mix the plastic rocks in with the black gravel to create glowing craters.

What size tank are you using? Glass tetras (not the painted ones), and Glofish, yellow RCS would be my suggestions.

Another idea on substrate could be black gravel with the neon green tossed in. Interesting thread/idea. Not usually a fan of the corny tanks but ill follow this one

img_1126442_0_2b5157dc59c14a7062db64230ecc9084.jpg

glass catfish

Glass shrimp + custom lighting from beneath!

i have a 10gal with a black lite and the glass cats dont show up. the only fish i could find to glow was the glofish, they look neat, i have 4 neon plants that glow under the black lite as well. i have black sand and blackout on the back and the sides.

im gona try to keep following this thread sounds neat

Folks, please respect the OP's thread. Obviously this never came to life.

Feel free to make a new one but try to keep it on topic.

Ok did anybody make a new thread so that I can follow it? meegosh I hope Im not breaking the rules by asking but I wanna make sure I find it... If I am breaking the rules please pm me so I know :)

Back
Top Bottom