All Glass or Perfecto aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogerrabbit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wondering what the difference between the two are? Is one better than the other? I priced some at the LFS and the Perfecto was much cheaper, about 130$ cheaper than the All Glass for an 55 gal.

When I asked at the LFS I got the answer

in 25 years the perfecto will fall apart. the all glass will just leak like a ....
(I couldn't get a good answer on the differences, but I think it has to do with the tempering)

I have a perfecto 75Gal and have no complaints or leaks.

I am wondering what the difference between the two are? Is one better than the other? I priced some at the LFS and the Perfecto was much cheaper, about 130$ cheaper than the All Glass for an 55 gal.

This does not make sense. How much are they charging for JUST the tank? For there to be a $130 price difference, I would think you looked at a bundle price on accident, or the LFS really jack up the prices through the roof on All Glass tanks.

I checked here, and on a 150Gal the price difference is about 140$, a Perfecto 55Gal goes for about 99$ here, about 30$ more for an AllGlass.

I'll be stickin with perfecto just because the all glass cannot be WORTH the extra money. (If I was stocking Tank Busters then maybe, but Acrylic would be better then.)

I'm more then willing to replace the tank or re-seal it in 15-20 years to save 140$ on my next purchase.

Perfecto Tanks

I had a Perfecto 29 gal years ago and the bottom cracked when it was only a month old. The crack was in the form of a lazy S and my LFS said it was the result of a glass flaw and gave me a new tank for nothing. Luckily, I had back-up 10 to keep fish going. It's not fun to wake up at 2 a.m. and hear water cascading on to your kitchen floor. My new 90 gal is an All-Glass. I don't even see many Perfectos for sale in my area anymore.

Unless one is tempered glass and the other ordinary glass there should be little difference. Does the glass in both appear to be the same thickness? If it is, the frames are about the same and the silicone is the same there should be no difference in durability. :D

Back
Top Bottom