All good things must come to an end... *PICS*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As some of you may know, I recently brought home a Gourami that was in my aquarium at work. At the time, this Gourami was healthy and happy - or so it seemed! The first night that I released it in my 10 gallon aquarium it was fine. The next day it was still swimming normally, but it passed up the food at feeding time. I didn't think much of it other than maybe it just didn't feel like eating at the time. This morning I woke up and the Gourami was resting at the surface. It's mouth was at the surface and it was in a vertical position. It hasn't touched any food all day and it has barely moved at all. Also, I noticed that it's body is kind of awkwardly shaped now. There's a slight curve along the spine and it seems to be a little bit bloated on the right side. What could it be? A parasite? How should I treat it?

Here are my tank parameters:

Ph: 7.0
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

I'm so upset. I brought this fish home because it appeared to be getting picked on at work by the other Gouramis. Is it possible that the other fish could tell that this one wasn't well?

- Mandy

Here are a couple of pictures of the Gouarmi.... Now it looks like even it's scales are starting to puff out. I didn't even notice that when I looked at it. :(

- Mandy

Attachments

• sickg.jpg
    sickg.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 79
  • sickg2.jpg
    sickg2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 84
It looks like his fins are sticking out. It sounds like dropsy. You can try antibiotics, the prognosis is not good.

Well, I set my alarm clock to go off bright and early this morning so I could get to the pet store as they open to get some meds and a 5 gallon hospital tank, but sadly when I woke up my Gouarami had already passed. :(

I'm still planning to get the meds and hospital tank since this fish was kept in the same tank as the others in my signature. Just in case any of them show any signs of becoming ill, I want to be prepared!

The thing that upsets me the most is that I brought this fish home in hopes of giving it a better life, but that 'better life' only lasted a few short days and I can hardly consider it to be better! :(

- Mandy

Sorry to hear about your fishy loss, Mandy. Dropsy is caused by an internal fungal infection or bacterial infection. It could very well have been the stress it was under at your office tank, or could have been from a stressful move. It's very hard to tell. After the scales start to protrude from the body, it's usually too late. You did everything you could. :(

Sorry to hear about your Gourami dying Mandy... I am concerned myself over the whole Dropsy thing. I lost a gold Gourami to dropsy , and now my flame gourami (exactly like your display pic) may have it.
Its a horrible illness and its made me paranoid all the time cuz Iknow its so hard to cure . :(

Back
Top Bottom