All of my fish died but 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover13

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so all of my fish died but 3 my
Male DG
Platy
Snail
Will my DG eat shrimp and what are some other choices.
I have a 25 gallon.

Sorry to hear it? Why did they die?

Ok its a long story. I was getting a bigger tank for Christmas it was a used 25 gallon that my aunt had A pleco in. I didn't get to see the tank before I got it and on Christmas day when I saw it it was really nasty and was not taken care of. That when I was told she had never done a water change and her water was green and murky and her fish was sick. Wit my luck my 10 gallon tank that my fish were staying in, literally just started leaking on Christmas morning (the dayi got the tank) so i had choice but to put the water from the 10 gallon (that water was already cycled). So her sick fishes bacteria(ick) stayed in the aquarium an got on my fish. The ick is gone and my three survivors are stressed because of the other ones dying. My DGs buddys died (an outcast HR)so now the only thing he will do is eat and my Platys buddy( a guppy that died). My snaul dosnt seem to be affected.

Please get the new tank healthy before you add anything to it. Sounds like a rough time. Sorry.

You need to not only get the tank healthy but you need to clean it up. Do WC's, clean the gravel well with a gravel vac, clean the filter, clean any decorations. BUT you can't do it all at once. Do a 50% WC while cleaning half the gravel well. Then in a couple days do another WC and clean the other 1/2 of the gravel. The next week do your weekly 50% WC but this time clean your filter BUT don't clean the bio-media. If it's really nasty then rinse the bio-media in a bucket of the tank water you removed, never clean bio-media under tap water or you'll kill off your beneficial bacteria. Keep working on the tank each week until it is clean and healthy and that your remaining fish have been ick free for a good month IMO before adding anything else to the tank.

You need to not only get the tank healthy but you need to clean it up. Do WC's, clean the gravel well with a gravel vac, clean the filter, clean any decorations. BUT you can't do it all at once. Do a 50% WC while cleaning half the gravel well. Then in a couple days do another WC and clean the other 1/2 of the gravel. The next week do your weekly 50% WC but this time clean your filter BUT don't clean the bio-media. If it's really nasty then rinse the bio-media in a bucket of the tank water you removed, never clean bio-media under tap water or you'll kill off your beneficial bacteria. Keep working on the tank each week until it is clean and healthy and that your remaining fish have been ick free for a good month IMO before adding anything else to the tank.

That's what I'm doing

So, what types of fish are you interested in? I think most shrimp need live plants, but you can look it up to be sure. A DG might eat smaller shrimp. You could have cories. Maybe threadfin rainbows, a clown pleco, kribensis? Just depends on what direction you want to go with. If you look at liveaquaria.com you can get some ideas by looking at their fish descriptions.

So, what types of fish are you interested in? I think most shrimp need live plants, but you can look it up to be sure. A DG might eat smaller shrimp. You could have cories. Maybe threadfin rainbows, a clown pleco, kribensis? Just depends on what direction you want to go with. If you look at liveaquaria.com you can get some ideas by looking at their fish descriptions.

I was on live aquaria looking for plants I tink I am going to get cories and a few other fish and plants

Back
Top Bottom