All possible shrimp death (pps-pro)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back to bed then.

Gona see tomorrow if my new fertilizer batch will affect my shrimps. Pray for me.

I've used MgSO4, no hydrate, in the lab before as a drying agent. Someone once grabbed the wrong MgSO4 (the hydrated version) and lo and behold, it didn't work. I just happened to remember the hydrate number from that.

I'm a bit more like a chemist, lol.

I have
Csm+b, it has 0.10% coppers.
Flourish Trace has 0.0032% Soluble Copper (Cu).

Comparing them to the rest of there trace element, which one is lower?
I heard, that copper in soft water is more sensible on shrimps.

Amazing comparison of popular product
James' Planted Tank - Comparison Of Traces

I am thinking of getting Flourish Trace but flourish supplement seem better for shrimp. And if i use flourish supplement, pps-pro must be pointless right?

One more thing:
New batch of macro and micro is done and diffuser done to(waiting for cure). Lower the potassium and Lower the phosphate. I did not add any epson salt yet because of high kh. This morning i added haft the dose and no problem and the shrimps look happy for now. Tomorrow if my nitrate is low i am gonna add a full dose and see whats happens.

I don't know if this all relevant, but i am happy to share the process

Well one thing I would think about first is why you are worried about the copper level. I've used flourish comprehensive and csm+b for a long time without any issues, and I know lots and lots of people who do the same. That leads me to believe that your issue is probably not copper (fertilizer) related.

Plantex has .001% copper by weight according to your link. That is a very small percentage and unlikely to harm anything. In fact, copper is a necessary trace element and all creatures utilize some copper. It only becomes toxic to inverts at higher concentrations, not what you would find in Plantex. If copper is your problem, it's from previous dosing meds, not from ferts.

--Adeeb

Weird, my shrimps are lively today. The real change was... I redo the mix of macro and micro. i don't understand why they old batch had problems. In any case, i will keep a close eye. and see if that was the culprit.
For that reason i will put they macro and micro in the fridge

I did not put any magnesium in my mix yet because it give a higher kh and its high anuf. (kh 6.5)
And calcium sulfate was not added nether for the same reason.

Finally from what your telling me, i will not have to test the copper. Only, if i see more death.

Lost one more shrimp this morning.

So i did more change. I remove all my limestone, because they where a possibility of the death.

I added gh booster to 7. It was at 5. Anything else was on the money.

I can't calculate magnesium, calcium or copper, but i bet there no meaning to look at it if everything else is OK.

I am thinking new life spectrum flakes are killing my shrimps. It have copper in it. Any thought on this?

Now i am thinking its the water change it self. I am stoping water change every week to 2 weeks + very slowly adding the water with a control pump.

Just to finish this tread because a lot of people are seeing it. I did found out the problem. RCS are more sensible to any change then you can think. Most dyed because of water change. To fix that, buy a small pump, restrict the flow of the tub to the minimum. That will take time to fill up, if you have a 32 gallon like me. But you dont need to hold the tub. Found a way to hold your tub so that you can do something else.

I have copper tubing in my apartment. so i stope using prime because it do not specify copper, but fluvial shrimps safe do. Whats more amazing his, if you prepare your water in advance, (prime or shrimps safe)and keep you water fore more then 2 days, you will see in your barrel (white barrel helps to see it) of water a films that stick in the bottom. That stuff, his the reaction of the product you use to the neutralize hard metal like copper and chlorine.

Finally, ferilizer did not affect my shrimps when adding some in the morning. But having more then .7ppm of iron did kill them.

p.s. Removing they algae with, any product, even Hydrogen peroxide will kill your shrimps. Its not the Hp that kill them but the sudden Change.

I have RCS and do a 50% PWC every 3rd day. I use PPS Pro but have omitted the NitrAte component since I have it in my tank anyway. I have a big thriving breeding colony which seem more active after a water change but they may know feeding comes right after..peas or wafers.

I do 50% weekly for my RCS, just match temp. They're not at all sensitive. Not sure what killed your shrimp, but water changes aren't the problem.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom