Already have fish but want to plant!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DWright

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 55g with 5 serpae tetras, 3 gold skirt tetras, 1 emerald cory, and 1 x-ray. After looking and reading about the benefits of aquatic plants, I want to now have a planted aquarium.:facepalm: Is there a way that I can begin to add plants without harming or stressing my fish?

I only have aquarium gravel, some plastic plants, and a few ornaments and air stones. I'm assuming I may need to change the substrate as well, depending on the plants I get.

Yeah you just put them in the tank

You have make sure your lights are good enough for the plants you want though. Do research

And you don't need to change the substrate for some plants. Some plants that will do fine in normal lighting IME are Java fern, Anubis, java moss, red ludwigia, water wisteria, amazon sword, Kyoto. Just a little help.

+1,

Just remember - unless you want a colony of snails in your tank - buy your plants either from a "guaranteed snail-free" vendor, or start researching "plant snail treatments".

:D

+1 to everything!
I would also recommend mixing some sand or aquarium soil in with your gravel, but you don't have to replace all of it. The plants will root easier in the mix

I'm sure your fish will love the plants!
Its more cover for them

Here's a good website for light requirements
Plantgeek.net
Go to plant guide then low light.
Some good low light ones are java fern and java moss.
You can also go to the store and write down the ones you're interested in and then search them on your smartphone or back at home to see if they'll work

Back
Top Bottom