Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via MSN to thething84
Alternate To tap Water

Hi Guys and Gals.

New to the site.

Been into fishkeeping for a long time, Had my current setup running for a good 6 years.

Well recently i noticed my nitrAtes are extreamly high, to the extent that they are off my test kits chart. Amonia and NitrItes are zero.

So i though the usual, lots of little water changed to bring it down, and tested my tap water before i started to find that the NitrAtes in my tap wzter are the same. So what can i use as an alternative to tap water which isn't gonna cost me the earth.

Thanks in Advance.

James

Old 02-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any type of purified water. Or bottle drinking water. Or you can buy it by the gallon.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hmmm, will have to look into that i think.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Angel.Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Angel.Zero
Have you thought about keeping some live plants?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

my tank is very well planted. but this still doesn't reduce the amount already in my tap water before i add it.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is a rain water collecting barrel a possibility in your area?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Thanx but no.....

Rain water is some of the worst. As rain falls it collects all the pollution in the air (ergo acid rain).

If your tap nitrates are really 'off my test kits chart' I would suggest having a someone else check your water to see if your test kit is bad or contacting your local water municipality. In the US, nitrates in excess of 45 (if I remember correctly) are considered the high water mark for drinkable water.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Your options would be a reverse osmosis unit, or buying RO/DI water at the grocery store. It depends on how big a tank (& how much water you use) as to which is more cost effective.

Using RO water would require you to add back the minerals needed for fish/plants (and also buffering capacity). You can use a commercial mix, or just mix in some of your tap. (Your plants will need some nitrates anyhow.)

If your tap is truly off the scale in nitrates, you might consider getting the RO unit so you can use it for drinking water as well. But I agree with the Captain, check with your water co. (or if you are using a well, have the water professionally tested.) Make sure your test result isn't way off before spending $$.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

well i have ordered a new test kit which should hoopefully arive tomorrow, as my test kit was old. although the itrates one is a serperate kit i have, I will re0-test my water when i get the test kit.

Although according to PFK my water is about 45ppm NitrAtes.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

That seems high for your own consumption. Here in the US the EPA considers 10 ppm to be the limit for safe drinking water. I hope your test kit is faulty!

That aside, if you do have some nitrate already present in your water, you can increase lighting and other things to cause your plants to suck up every bit of it. That is a nutrient that we often have to dose, even in moderately lit setups, since it is something that happy, healthy growing plants will suck right up.

On the other hand, fish can tolerate a fair amount of nitrate in the water, and if your fish and plants are happy and healthy, then I'd do nothing at all, no matter what the test kit says.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com